Change in blood sugars when not exercising

Robaloo

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hello, I have a question.
T1D, diagnosed 1.5 years ago. Not in honey moon phase anymore.
So I normally workout about 1 hr or more a day 5-6 days a week. I have had this habit for a long time and even when I’ve taken a break not really noticed any changes.
I haven’t worked out for 6 days and my blood sugars seems to be a bit higher than normal and I’m needing more insulin after meals.
My diet is the same, my stress is about the same. I have been on the same pen for 2 weeks and it was working fine before, so not sure if it’s due to my pen (i use Humalog).
My question is does stopping exercise effect blood sugar? If I go back to exercise is there a chance it will go back to normal?
I would appreciate any help!
Thank you :)

EllieM

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
hypos and forum bugs
I definitely need less insulin overall when I exercise more, and if I don't exercise for couple of days, I need more insulin.

But we are all different.

As far as I am concerned, exercise has a big effect on my bg.

• Agree
Reactions: Robaloo and Antje77

Robaloo

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Ok that’s good to know- I’m pretty consistent with how I take my insulin and my daily routine so it’s always a surprise when things change haha

In Response

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Like you, I exercise most days. One slovenly day will not make much difference from my BG but when it becomes 3 r 4 days, my insulin needs noticeably rise.
For me, I think this is due to two things - the lack of exercise and the reason for the lack of exercise. Generally, I stop exercise because I do not have time or I am injured/unwell. The former is usually stressful mentally and the latter is a physical stress on my body.

However, as you mention, your diagnosis was only 18 months ago so you could still be in the honeymoon phase. My insulin needs slowly increased over 8 years as my beta cells slowly died off. So, your insulin needs may revert when restart working out but they may not, It doesn't matter. You need as much insulin as you need.

MrPeaky

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
My question is doe
My question is does stopping exercise effect blood sugar? If I go back to exercise is there a chance it will go back to normal

100% it affects BS.

Excuse the super long link, but a good article.

T2 myself and I was diagnosed after a long lay off with little to 0 mobility, once I was up an moving all went back to normal very quick, needless to say I found out very early in the process of becoming Diabetic I was Diabetic, and probably had been my entire life.

I can eat what I want (within reason as with any healthy diet) again now and see no massive BS changes over my LCHF diet I now follow.

But I will always keep the carbs super low as much as possible forever now, as I know my insulin resistance is not brilliant so best to give the body the best chance of doing stuff on its own for as long as possible.