change in diabetes

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi @mikeshoose100 and welcome to the forum. I’m so sorry to hear of your cancer diagnosis. You are still type 2. Type one is an autoimmune condition where your body attacks the insulin producing cells in the pancreas thereby necessitating injected insulin. Type 2 is when you can’t use sugar or carbohydrates efficiently. As well as injecting insulin now have you considered altering your diet at all?

Reactions: In Response

In Response

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hey Mike,

Sorry to read that you are now battling cancer on top of your diabetes.
Unfortunately, steroids are known to increase blood sugar levels.

Regarding the difference between Type 1 and type 2 - they are two different conditions which are not defined by the treatment.
Type 1 is an auto-immune condition where our bodies have decided they don't like the cells that produce insulin so have killed them off and we produce no insulin. Type 2 is where your body is resistant to insulin - it kind of "wastes it" so needs more which is why you are needing to inject extra insulin.
Therefore, you don't "become Type 1" due to a change of treatment or use of steroids. You still have type 2 diabetes.

It is possible to become insulin resistant and have Type 1 diabetes so there are some people, for example, who treat their condition with insulin and metformin.
And there are some people who are misdiagnosed so don't become Type 1 but their diagnosis is corrected to Type 1.

Good luck with your caner treatment. I hope it does not get you down too much.

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I have been type 2 diabetic for 10 years on metrormin.
but now i need insulin to control as I now have Cancer and have steroids which are putting me very high
is this still classified as type 2 or type 1
mike
Hi Mike,

Welcome to the forum.

I have nothing more to add to what has already been said on the matter..

But I do offer my best wishes regarding your ongoing treatment.

If you have anything to ask about insulin? I’m sure we can help.

Reactions: Paul_