Change in DVLA guidelines

britishpub

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I attend a regular quarterly meeting with the DVLA (Industry Liason Group) as I work for a trade body in the transport sector.

We were informed at the meeting that there will be some changes to medical reporting requirements and also some of their guidelines.

For people with Diabetes the requirement to report when you have had two episodes of severe hypoglycaemia within the last 12 months remains in place, BUT from January 2018 the DVLA will only take into account events that happen when you are awake, and not asleep. If you have 2 events when awake the requirement will be to stop driving for 3 months.

This only affects people with a Category 1 licence. If you hold a Category 2 (Vocational) licence there is no change.

himtoo

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
mean people , gardening , dishonest people , and war.
why can't everyone get on........
thanks you so much for reporting this @britishpub !!

Reactions: Snapsy

Omnipod

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I attend a regular quarterly meeting with the DVLA (Industry Liason Group) as I work for a trade body in the transport sector.

We were informed at the meeting that there will be some changes to medical reporting requirements and also some of their guidelines.

For people with Diabetes the requirement to report when you have had two episodes of severe hypoglycaemia within the last 12 months remains in place, BUT from January 2018 the DVLA will only take into account events that happen when you are awake, and not asleep. If you have 2 events when awake the requirement will be to stop driving for 3 months.

This only affects people with a Category 1 licence. If you hold a Category 2 (Vocational) licence there is no change.

The two events you refer to.... are these hypos where you needed assistance?