1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2021 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Guest, stay home, stay safe, save the NHS. Stay up to date with information about keeping yourself and people around you safe here and GOV.UK: Coronavirus (COVID-19). Think you have symptoms? NHS 111 service is available here.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Change in exercise = change in insulin requirements?

Discussion in 'Fitness, Exercise and Sport' started by Emck, Oct 7, 2020.

1. Emck

Emck · Well-Known Member

Hi all!

I have recently changed my exercise routine from a 3-4 x weekly (at home) hiit class (about 45mins to an hour) to a more weights based workout programme.

I’m not feeling brave enough to back to the gym yet, but wanted a change so signed up to the nobs home guide (https://www.nobsguides.co.uk/nobs-home-guide).

I’m really enjoying it, and I’ve increased my weights beyond anything I was regularly lifting in the gym for this volume of reps (e.g. 16kg for 40 reps of squats). Not huge, but tough enough for me (I would have previously been squatting 10kg in gym pump class) and there is focus on upper body which I haven’t done before.

I’m getting good results and feeling stronger.

However, I have noticed that my insulin requirements seem to have increased. My basal has increased by 5u overnight.

I generally workout before dinner, with hiit I would have needed a 50-75% bolus reduction but with this programme the same length of workout probably only needs a 25% reduction despite getting my heart rate to the same levels and leaving me wrecked afterwards.

Has anyone else seen a uplift in insulin after swapping to weights? It’s really messing with my levels and is taking me some time to figure out.

2. ert

ert Type 1 · Well-Known Member

• Like Like x 1
  3. NicoleC1971

NicoleC1971 Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Insulin is an an anabolic hormone so needing more might be a sign you are building some new muscles though I'd expect that your sugars might go down after a session as you become more insulin sensitive unless your new fitness focus has caused changes in what you're eating? WHey protein shakes don't come with fat so tend to be more glucose generating for example.
    Pump is all about muscle endurance rather than building strength so those classes would drop your sugars more than the reps/weight you describe.
    I guess it is all an experiment with your N of 1 as with all type 1s!

• Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook