Change in pen - Levermir FlexPen to Levemir FlexTouch

Libby3781

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
I’m currently on Levermir, administered using a FlexPen. However, I’ve just had a review with my consultant! She has suggested I now have Levermir administered via a FlexTouch pen!

Do any members have the FlexTouch pen? If so, what is the difference?

The main difference that I’m aware of is I’ll be able to take one dose instead of two.

Any information members can share, I’d be very grateful. Thanks all in advance!

Rokaab

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
If I remember rightly there was very little difference between the two (I changed from the FlexPen to the FlexTouch about 3-4 years ago so its a while back - it was due to a change from Novorapid to Fiasp), slightly different design, they do exactly the same job though

Hopeful34

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
If you google flexpen v flextouch there's an article, and also video's of them both. Hope this helps.

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
The main difference that I’m aware of is I’ll be able to take one dose instead of two.
Why would that be? It's exactly the same insulin, so if you need your dose split you'll still need it split with another pen.

barrym

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Why would that be? It's exactly the same insulin, so if you need your dose split you'll still need it split with another pen.

Hard to imagine but if your requirement was greater than the pen can deliver you would need two doses. If the new one had a greater maximum, a single dose. Unlikely I'd have thought, bit.....

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Thanks @barrym and @Hopeful34 . I had assumed it was about splitting doses morning and night.
I sometimes change my mind on my dose while injecting and I simply dial up the extra units with the pen still attached to my body. No idea if this is recommended though, never really thought about it. :hilarious: