Change of insulin

Hunters_1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hi ,I have a son who has recently had his insulin changed to nova mix. has any body out there had any problems with this insulin?

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
Hi - why was his insulin changed ?

As insulins go it's fine to use, except it doesn't offer much flexibility for a varied spontaneous diet as its designed for people who eat the same food types every day, novorapid is designed for people who carb count so can match the insulin to carbs eaten.

Hunters_1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hi He was on 4 injections a day,and the nurse changed it to nova mix and just twice a day. I must add that my son has a brain injury due to a diabetic coma and as a result suffers from vacant seizures which have increased lately . I was just wondering if this could have been due to the insulin change

Reactions: TheAndyC

Hunters_1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
My son was on 4 injections a day ,the nurse then changed it to nova mix and just twice a day. I must add that my son had a brain injury some years ago and as a result now suffers from vacant seizures which have increased lately. I was just wondering if the nova rapid might have anything to do with the increase in seizures.

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
Hi @Hunters_1 Obviously i'm not a medical professional so cannot comment on his seizures, but have never come across any issue with insulin and an increase in seizures, it would be best to see your consultant as it could be something completely unrelated.

kitedoc

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
black jelly beans
You may need to ask for medical advice and opinion about your son.
I know of patient's being switched to Novamix to simplify the injection routine but this does not necessaily improve their bsl control according to them and they tend to dgain too much weight.

One thought is asking your son's neurologist whether he woukd benefit seizure-wise from a ketogenic diet, which has been helpful for people with epilepsy.

TIDs have successfully undertaken such diets but his nurse may not be familar with the diet.
With close attention a number of TIDs on a keto diet, not necessarily epileptics but for their own wish to have better BSL control, including fewer hypos appear to do well.

Whether novomix is suitable for such a diet i cannot provide a medical opinion.
but you will note users' concerns above in the second sentence.

Hunters_1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Thanks . I have arranged for my son to be referred to his neurologist, and will take on board what you have advised .

Thanks very much you have been very helpfull

kitedoc

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
black jelly beans
dietdoctor.com is a useful resource about keto diets and Dr Bernstein's Diabetes Solution ( book or ebook) for low carb diet.
Best Wishes