Type 2 Change of medication.

Hammer1964

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Meat, meat substitutes and fish
Hi, I was diagnosed 10 weeks ago as T2 and was put on Gliclazide 80mg a day. HbA1c was 78, after two months HbA1c was down to 60 and I had a few hypos so Gliclazide was reduced to 40mg a day and I have another blood test at the end of June. The DN has said she may then want to change my medication to Metformin. My fasting bg in the mornings is around 6-6.5, pre dinner 4.5 (today) and 5.5 and before bed between 6.0 and 7.00. I have not had any other issues with the Gliclazide (apart from the few hypos) is it normal to change the drugs? Is Metformin a lesser drug? I am currently following a vegetarian lchf diet (which is against DN's wishes) but I wanted my levels to drop as I felt so ill.

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi. Normally you would be started, as a T2, on Metformin rather than Gliclazide unless you were suspected of being a Late onset T1. I would go along with changing from Gliclazide to Metformin as the DN has suggested. Hopefully it will be adequate to maintain your BS without the risk of hypos. If you can't control the BS with the LCHF and Metformin then discuss options with the DN including reverting to Gliclazide.

Reactions: Hammer1964

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
It was quite unusual to be put on Gliclazide on diagnosis with an HbA1c of 78. Metformin is the first line drug. Your nurse wants you off Gliclazide because your HbA1c has come down and you had a few hypos. Hypos can be dangerous, and Gliclazide is a drug that can cause them. Metformin is a much safer drug and will not cause hypos.

Reactions: Hammer1964

Hammer1964

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Hi. Normally you would be started, as a T2, on Metformin rather than Gliclazide unless you were suspected of being a Late onset T1. I would go along with changing from Gliclazide to Metformin as the DN has suggested. Hopefully it will be adequate to maintain your BS without the risk of hypos. If you can't control the BS with the LCHF and Metformin then discuss options with the DN including reverting to Gliclazide.

Thanks for your advice.

Hammer1964

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
It was quite unusual to be put on Gliclazide on diagnosis with an HbA1c of 78. Metformin is the first line drug. Your nurse wants you off Gliclazide because your HbA1c has come down and you had a few hypos. Hypos can be dangerous, and Gliclazide is a drug that can cause them. Metformin is a much safer drug and will not cause hypos.

Thanks for your advice.