Changed medication, feeling terrible.

MillieT

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Hi, I stopped doing the Keto diet a couple of weeks ago and returned to Jardiance-Empagliflozin 25MG once per day which i had a couple of spare strips, I had been placed on Alogliptin but gave me a bad tummy hence the reason for taking the other, my gp prescribed me Forxiga 10mg per day and said to take this, as far as I'm aware it is the same as empagliflozin, however, 4th day now an i'm feeling dreadful, i feel sick and light headed, i ran out of keto test strips so just bought some off the internet because prescriptions are taking too long and half my other meds they cannot get in stock so I have had to source it from elsewhere.

My sugars two hours after eating were 8.6, same last night so not untowardly high, so i can't understand why i feel edgy, butterflies in my tummy and have been sleeping quite a lot, yesterday I was only up for 5 hours, i also feel bosseyed, i have my ususal Uti and what have you going on, not sure if it has become any worse, i've come to the conclusion that I have to live and try to cope with it best i can. Has anyone else had a strange reaction to the Forxiga, could it be that making me feel unwell and if so, i wonder why?

Daphne917

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
@Millie_ have you looked up the side effects of Forxiga as there seems to end quite a few some of which seem to apply to you.

MillieT

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
@Millie_ have you looked up the side effects of Forxiga as there seems to end quite a few some of which seem to apply to you.

Thankyou @Daphne917 , I just have, i didn't think to because my gp said it is the same as the empagliflozin, now i realise why i'm nearly falling over when i get up quickly, i don't think i wish to take them again tomorrow.

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thankyou @Daphne917 , I just have, i didn't think to because my gp said it is the same as the empagliflozin, now i realise why i'm nearly falling over when i get up quickly, i don't think i wish to take them again tomorrow.

Millie - Whilst the two tablet names you cite there are in the same class of medications, they aren't necessarily twins. The study in the following link compared the two medications: https://www.diabetesresearchclinicalpractice.com/article/S0168-8227(18)31942-9/fulltext

I think an important consideration is though that even where the active ingredient in both formulations are the same, the formulations can be quite different - fillers, stabilisers, coatings and so on.

When individuals take a medication long term, sometimes that find it much better to stick to a particular brand. A example of this would be, for me. I take some medication to help out my errant thyroid gland. I do OK on most brands, but when I take TEVA brand, I feel nauseous from waking until I go to sleep, and repeat. I can only conclude that is a filler or whatever.

To protect against this cropping up, my GP has a note, which is printed on every repeat I fill that I should not be dispensed wwith TEVA meds. That works for me.

Could be worth having a chat with your GP to see if you could try again with the brand you got along find with?

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi. Always read the leaflet in any medication pack so you are for-warned of any side effects. Are you having a low-carb diet of any kind now? You say you have stopped the Keto diet - why? The NHS would rather prescribe diabetes medication rather than explain the need for a low-carb diet. So, keep the carbs down and you may be able to stop some of the meds with the GP's agreement.

MillieT

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
@Daibell, I would have to type it on the internet and enlarge to be able to see it, i'm merely going by what my gp had told me with regards it being the same and side effects. I had been on the keto diet since just before Christmas but have had issues with sugars and trying to get back to a normal level, they never did come down and stay there so I have taken a break off keto, having said that, when you are use to a very low carb diet it is extremely difficult to try anything heavy in carbs, yet again I find myself going over old ground, I am still pretty much on a lower carb diet, i realise i shouldn't have but I had porridge again 3-4 days ago and it knocked me clean out for a few hours..i keep promising myself won't have it anymore, that was the first since November. Tonight i have such a splitting headache, my oh put a mug down in the kitchen too loud- made me jump so i'm on edge to noises- it's so peculiar, i'm going ot have an early night and take the other tomorrow, i can't bear to feel like this.