Changing goal posts?

cazzycool

My previous diabetes blood test around 6 months ago went from fasting to non fasting. No need to fast now I was told and my HBa1c had risen from around 36 to 51. The rise was mentioned as worrying, I couldn't help thinking it was a result of not fasting!

Today I was told my hba1c is good at 50, and I am to be tested in 6 months and if it is the same or less I can be "undiagnosed" as type 2 diabetic.

Is this a new Govt ploy to cut the number of diabetics I wonder? They send me on an Expert course where I was told once you are diabetic you never recover, you will always be diabetic.

I have peripheral neuropathy, had it 10 years before being diagnosed as type 2 with an oral glucose test. I get palpitations if I eat too much sugar. I have been told my Vit D levels are low and I am hypothyroid.

So what is going on? Should I be worried about this new approach (I think new guidelines were mentioned)?

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi,

I can set your mind at rest on one point - hba1c isn't affected by fasting. So your hba1c readings are directly comparable.
(The tests which are affected by fasting or not are the cholesterol test and the Fasting blood glucose)

The official cut off for diabetes is an hba1c of 48 or above - so being at 50 makes you still firmly in the D camp.
I should have a good read up on it before your next appointment so you know exactly where you stand.

Hope that helps. :)

Reactions: Prem51

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
My previous diabetes blood test around 6 months ago went from fasting to non fasting. No need to fast now I was told and my HBa1c had risen from around 36 to 51. The rise was mentioned as worrying, I couldn't help thinking it was a result of not fasting!

Today I was told my hba1c is good at 50, and I am to be tested in 6 months and if it is the same or less I can be "undiagnosed" as type 2 diabetic.

Is this a new Govt ploy to cut the number of diabetics I wonder? They send me on an Expert course where I was told once you are diabetic you never recover, you will always be diabetic.

I have peripheral neuropathy, had it 10 years before being diagnosed as type 2 with an oral glucose test. I get palpitations if I eat too much sugar. I have been told my Vit D levels are low and I am hypothyroid.

So what is going on? Should I be worried about this new approach (I think new guidelines were mentioned)?
Are the palpitations from your thyroid disfunction or sugar rush? Or even a side effect from low carbing? Anyway. I've not heard of new guidelines but someone may be along soon to enlighten us.
I understand none fasting hba1c is harder to work out your level than a fasting hba1c. Cholesterol test too. However if nurse indicates whether fasting one or not then the correctly qualified phlebotomist will work it out.

DavidGrahamJones

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Newspapers
https://www.diabetes.co.uk/diabetes_care/blood-sugar-level-ranges.html

Some of it is NICE guidelines, might be a good idea to print it off and show your medical professional.

As mentioned HbA1c, being a reflection of an average for the previous 8 - 12 weeks (it measures Glycated hemoglobin, a form of hemoglobin that is measured primarily to identify the three-month average plasma glucose concentration. The test is limited to a three-month average because the lifespan of a red blood cell is four months).

N.B. Glycation (sometimes called non-enzymatic glycosylation) is the result of the typically covalent bonding of a protein or lipid molecule with a sugar molecule, such as glucose.

I have fasted before cholesterol levels test in the past, but I've been reading that the guidelines are changing. I also read that they don't recommend eating cheeseburger and fries before the test, good grief. as if?

cazzycool

Are the palpitations from your thyroid disfunction or sugar rush? Or even a side effect from low carbing? Anyway. I've not heard of new guidelines but someone may be along soon to enlighten us.
I understand none fasting hba1c is harder to work out your level than a fasting hba1c. Cholesterol test too. However if nurse indicates whether fasting one or not then the correctly qualified phlebotomist will work it out.
Well that I don't know! I get strange reactions to substances in food too, lemon balm is one that gives me all sorts of nerve pain and pins and needles, been drinking herbal tea with it in not realising. Could be the source of the palpitations too! I always feel really good when I do a low carb day or two or three days though.

cazzycool

Hi,

I can set your mind at rest on one point - hba1c isn't affected by fasting. So your hba1c readings are directly comparable.
(The tests which are affected by fasting or not are the cholesterol test and the Fasting blood glucose)

The official cut off for diabetes is an hba1c of 48 or above - so being at 50 makes you still firmly in the D camp.
I should have a good read up on it before your next appointment so you know exactly where you stand.

Hope that helps. :)
So the fact they are saying my cholesterol is high at 5.9 and has gone up could be due to non fasting! I am refusing to take statins.

cazzycool

https://www.diabetes.co.uk/diabetes_care/blood-sugar-level-ranges.html

Some of it is NICE guidelines, might be a good idea to print it off and show your medical professional.

As mentioned HbA1c, being a reflection of an average for the previous 8 - 12 weeks (it measures Glycated hemoglobin, a form of hemoglobin that is measured primarily to identify the three-month average plasma glucose concentration. The test is limited to a three-month average because the lifespan of a red blood cell is four months).

N.B. Glycation (sometimes called non-enzymatic glycosylation) is the result of the typically covalent bonding of a protein or lipid molecule with a sugar molecule, such as glucose.

I have fasted before cholesterol levels test in the past, but I've been reading that the guidelines are changing. I also read that they don't recommend eating cheeseburger and fries before the test, good grief. as if?
As the blood test was late morning I did eat breakfast and decided to have a mushroom omelette not my usual bowl of fruit and yogurt to see if that helped. She did say my cholesterol was up to 5.9 which is too high though.

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
@cazzycool am I right in thinking your meaning of none fasting here is meaning the fasting for 10-12hrs before your blood test and not planned IF fasting or the new 24hr fasting to reduce insulin resistance and/or weight loss?

DavidGrahamJones

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Newspapers
As the blood test was late morning I did eat breakfast and decided to have a mushroom omelette not my usual bowl of fruit and yogurt to see if that helped. She did say my cholesterol was up to 5.9 which is too high though.

Ingested cholesterol doesn't alter total cholesterol in the blood. Even Ancel Keys was saying that back in the 50s. A more up to date bit of research has been done by the University of Surrey that showed eating eggs every day did not increase total cholesterol.