Changing GP

hurf0rd

Type of diabetes
Parent
Treatment type
Other
I'm thinking of moving from my current GP's surgery, because it will not support electronic prescriptions. These would be far more convenient for me than physically visiting the surgery every few weeks. I don't have much interaction with them in any case, as I see consultants at my local hospital for all my medical conditions, including diabetes

I've been with them for almost 20 years.

Has anybody changed their GP recently? What issues might I expect if I go ahead, aside from the obvious one of having to visit a different location, if needs be? TIA.

Last edited:

AM1874

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Not much
Hi @hurf0rd ..
Can I piggy-back on this please .. I'm thinking of changing too ..

Reactions: hurf0rd

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
I changed 3 yrs ago.
They get you to fill in medical history and old gp details and they arrange for you to see the nurse to fill in extra tick boxes on their system. Eg current blood pressure, weight, height and of course what drugs needed on repeat etc. Take dates of your last eye/ foot check up and if a different health authority to get you booked into see new consultant/s.
They do it all for you from there.
Most likely will see new gp to check all looking good. Any concerns or anything gp should know additionally.

I'm very proud of my new gp practice even though my last was a medical centre and new one just a 2 gp practice with excellent support staff.
I hope yours proves invaluable like mine!

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
I believe I handed over our current nhs cards to be issued with new ones. ID needed too of course!

D

Deleted member 371625

If this is why you are changing I would hang fire. All GPs and pharmacies should be live with this service by the end of this year. Currently 90% of GPs and 99% of all pharmacies are live (figures from memory so don't shout if a little out).

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I changed docs just a couple of months ago.

The main issue was that there is a shortage of docs in the area, so when I contacted my surgery of choice (closest, easiest access, one of the biggest in the area, with enough docs that I will have a choice if I end up wanting to avoid an individual dinosaur) I was told they would put me 'on the waiting list and contact me when there was a vacancy'.

I interpreted this as having to wait for a patient to die (sobering thought) or for someone to leave the area or move as I wanted to move, to another surgery.

Anyway, I had to wait about 4 months, then out of the blue got a call saying that I had reached the head of the queue, and could I please come in within 7 days to register. :)

Re your prescription issues:

My old surgery - electronic repeats possible, frequent reviews which required an appointment with nurse or doc, a hassley rigmarole of obvious reluctance in complying with my endocrinologist's instructions for prescriptions. Had to go to surgery to pick up prescription.

My new surgery - electronic repeats possible, automatically delivered to the pharmacy of my choice, so I only have to go out and pick up the drugs, prescription reviews confirmed as annual, done over the phone by resident pharmacist.

I am a happy bunny.

hurf0rd

Type of diabetes
Parent
Treatment type
Other
Thanks all. Yeah, my current surgery is about 3/4 mile away - I used to walk there in 10 minutes cycle it in 5, but a year or so ago I suffered a stroke so it now represents a huge distance. I'm particularly interested in the service plugged by this site, which says it will deliver to my door. But if they're going to be offering electronic prescriptions by the end of the year......well I need to make sure I'm gaining something by this exercise, rather than just punishing them.

Reactions: Prem51

NinaB73

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
That is difficult when you have been loyal to a surgery for so long and probably get on with your doctor but a change may be good! I recently persuaded my partner to move surgery after years with probably not the greatest of service, we don't all like change but in his case the new surgery is much more efficient and able to serve his needs. It was extremely simple to move.You may wonder why you didn't do it sooner! I do my repeat electronically and have done for years, can't imagine having to take it in all the time, my guess is you will think it a wonderful convenience!

Hiitsme

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I had to change surgeries recently as my old one was closed down. I visited a number to check if they were taking new patients and if I was in their area. I had to fill in a form and take it with 2 proof of identity documents. This seemed to go very smoothly.

Energize

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Depending on how close you are to a pharmacy, you could maybe ask the pharmacy to collect all your prescriptions from the surgery and then you just collect them (or have them delivered) each month. I don't believe many pharmacies, if any, charge for this service. Might be an easier, or interim, option for you?

hurf0rd

Type of diabetes
Parent
Treatment type
Other
Depending on how close you are to a pharmacy, you could maybe ask the pharmacy to collect all your prescriptions from the surgery and then you just collect them (or have them delivered) each month. I don't believe many pharmacies, if any, charge for this service. Might be an easier, or interim, option for you?

I won't use my local pharmacy, ever since they issued me with the wrong drugs, but that'll maybe be the subject of another thread... This pharmacy will work with my GP, but they won't deliver (and in fact collection is an even bigger issue than collecting prescriptions from my GP). Plus, of course, I have issues with their competence.

But I think the pertinent thing is that my most convenient option is delivery to my door, and I'm sufficiently remote that I wasn't aware that anyone would do this. Until, of course, I saw the ad on this site.

Last edited: