Changing hospital during pregnancy

Pitsgate

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I'm currently at St Thomas (London) and am pretty happy with them, whether pregnant or not they've been great. I also have my eye control & treatment there, good experiences on that too.
Problem is that we've moved house and tho it's only 15min further west, it's made the trek to the hospital just that bit harder (was already an hour at the best of times). It's ok at the moment as am just 8 weeks pregnant with my 2nd so moving still like a normal person... But I am dreading the frequent future trips for antenatal appointments with a toddler, with zero step free stations near us the route is either stressful or long. Often both.

I like the folk where I am so am unsure about this (would very much be me in tears saying "it's not you, it's me") and am not sure if this even is possible. Will bring the subject up at next appointment and see what they think.

Have you moved hospitals while pregnant? Has it been an alright process or is this a stupid idea? Also, any recommendations or thoughts on west London hospitals (for pregnancy and 'normal' diabetes)?
Currently St Mary's is the one I'm thinking about, have heard good things about it and it is much easier & faster to get to (50min rather than 75min).

Don't know if people rather reply to this type of stuff in private messages (fine by me), hope it's ok to ask here. Any input very welcome, with many thanks! X (Bit long-winded post, sorry!)

tigger

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
registrars asking silly questions
I've never moved while pregnant but have had 3 complete pregnancies at st marys and 1 miscarriage at uch. I'm happy with st mary's and get seen very quickly as i'm under them usually for diabetes. What my experience with uch taught me is that if you're not already in the system you have to make more effort to get all the extra care as a type 1 initially. If you do decide to move i'm sure it would be fine to do at this stage but you need to make sure your currentteam has a word with st marys and if you don't get seen fast enough start talking to diabetic nurse etc at st mary's.

I had this same decision with my last 2 pregnancies as it took me an hour to travel to st marys from home whereas uch would have been under 30 mins on public transport (both are about the same by car so no labour factor). I stuck with st Marys for a number of reasons but having the relationship and the ease of referral were important factors.

Good luck and feel free to message me if you hsve any questions.

Reactions: 2 people

Elc1112

I will be moving mid way through my pregnancy, so have similar concerns. My husband and I are moving from surrey to Newcastle, so we will definitely need to move hospitals. We are currently waiting on solicitors to get a completion date but it looks like we will be moving in April, when I will be around 22 weeks. Timing not ideal but I am confident it will all go smoothly. I've already informed the hospital I am at now and they have been great. Said they can help with the transition and so on. Sure yours will be the same :)

Em x