Changing Insulin pen Needle

Spiker

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
It could easily be argued that reusing lancets is much more of an infection risk than reusing pen needles. The lancets have no antibacterial fluid, unlike the needles. The lancets will be coated in blood which will provide a perfect breeding environment for bacteria. And the same bacteria infected decaying blood will be punched back under the skin and into the blood stream on the next use.

So I don't think it makes any sense to reuse lancets but not reuse needles

Reactions: 3 people

June_C

Type of diabetes
Prefer not to say
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Diabetes, know it alls
No comment ! We will remain of differing opinions.

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Why not follow the guidelines and stay safe?
One reason is to help the NHS save money as we cost the NHS an enormous sum each year as diabetics. I agree with Spiker. The manufacturers will play safe and advise only single use; they also make more money that way. I use one 4mm needle per day but I never leave a needle on the pen. I have never found any difference in injection discomfort using a needle up to 4 times

Spiker

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
This is one of those great debates that goes round and round. There may be a dozen threads on it just on this site, probably more.

I have no problem with it being a personal preference but I get the hump when people try to claim there is factual evidence of medical harm to back up their personal preference. There just isn't.

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Thank you after my telling off :( We can bend the rules a little, but I feel insulin needles should only ever be used once. Yes, we're all open to bacterial infections, but why add another possibility:shy:

The pen needles are coated with a lubricant, once they are used the lubricant is lost.

It's all anecdotal, but I found I had less problems when I started to change my needle after every injection than I did when reusing them before.

Reactions: 4 people

June_C

Type of diabetes
Prefer not to say
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Diabetes, know it alls
Thank you Noblehead

Johnny 141

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I change my needles ever time I inject,I've always been told that's the correct way,why take a chance with infection?

kevinfitzgerald

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
All things that hurt (emotional and physical)
Everyone so different on this one.

I remember using the metal and glass syringes in my early days They had to be boiled before every use to sterilise them.

But when you weren't doing this at home you had to take the syringe out with you. I never once took a saucepan out with me as well and you weren't advised to use the needle only once (too expensive) as you only got about 10 needles on prescription.

My experience is the same as Spikers. I use them until they feel like they need changing. I have been injecting since 1981 and have never got an infection due to over using a needle.

No best way to do this I believe.

No such thing as best in a world of individuals !

Reactions: 2 people

Gaz-M

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
baked beans
I use my daily injection needle 3 times then change it on a tea time, my basal I change after 2 injections

there is a Dr at our surgery who, when I was put on disposable syringes told me to use them for a week each. He is a total know nothing and the staff call him Dr paracetamol and needless to say I never used then for a week but I did for the day

Last edited by a moderator:

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
But when you weren't doing this at home you had to take the syringe out with you. I never once took a saucepan out with me as well and you weren't advised to use the needle only once (too expensive) as you only got about 10 needles on prescription.

After boiling the syringe did you not keep it in a plastic holder filled with surgical spirit to keep it sterile? I had one and remember having to pump the spirit out of the syringe before drawing up the insulins.

kevinfitzgerald

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
After boiling the syringe did you not keep it in a plastic holder filled with surgical spirit to keep it sterile? I had one and remember having to pump the spirit out of the syringe before drawing up the insulins.

Yes I had one of those (light blue if I remember) and it was slightly tapered at one end. I did put a little spirit at the bottom granted but I was never one to be consistent (probably the same reason I don't change needles after each use now)

How things have changed since then !

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Yes I had one of those (light blue if I remember) and it was slightly tapered at one end. I did put a little spirit at the bottom granted but I was never one to be consistent (probably the same reason I don't change needles after each use now)

How things have changed since then !

Yeah mine was light blue, it also came with a stand, wasn't there a spring inside to stop the needle making contact with the bottom of syringe holder, things have certainly changed....................... and for the better too:)

kevinfitzgerald

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Yeah mine was light blue, it also came with a stand, wasn't there a spring inside to stop the needle making contact with the bottom of syringe holder, things have certainly changed....................... and for the better too:)

Yes it had a stand and I used to keep it in where we kept the spuds!

And the spring was well springy. I remember if I unscrewed the top too quickly the syringe almost took off !

Well made though..

RuthW

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I was diagnosed at five almost fifty years ago. We reused needles. By the time I was a young adult my insulin sites were a wreck and my insulin absorption completely erratic. I now use a pump and it's brilliant. Your daughter is young. Use a new needle every time. Otherwise twenty years from now, she may be having terrible problems.

shaggy1974

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
In the past(when I was young and stupid) I've kept needles on for weeks at a time (inject twice a day) There does come a point where they start to give way and you wouldn't want a trip to hospital to have a broken needle removed, but I don't think reusing one 3 or 4 times is a problem............. Once had one bend on my leg as I trid to inject:eek:

When I was on plastic syringes I used once then discarded. I last changed my fastclix pricker about two months ago.

Spiker

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Life's rich tapestry. :)

It's a plausible point that long term needle reuse might cause injection site problems. The short term studies didn't find hyperlipotrophy but there are other mechanisms for compromising injection sites so maybe that's worth someone doing a long term study.

I'm on a pump now and I can tell you the canulas do massive damage to my injection sites in a way that needle reuse never did. My abdomen is a mess despite strict rotation of sites. They always bleed on removal and frequently get infected despite sterile swabbing. And with canulas I do stick to the recommended replacement frequency.

Spiker

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
It was very short steel canulas that were the worst, they tore holes in me. I am back to short plastic ones (Inset II) and they are better.

RuthW

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Right. I've only been using my pump for three months, but I have started rotating to my flanks sometimes, and I intend to use my bum, my arms, and anywhere else that proves viable, too. Last month I lost weight and found I was bleeding when I pulled the cannula out. Are you very slim?

Spiker

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I'm fairly slim yeah. I tried angled canulas but didn't get on with the huge insertion needles. (Though they will be handy if commercial whaling ever makes a comeback.)