Changing Lantus tims

azizdhl

Hi guys,

I was told by a doctor that I must switch Lantus time from 9am to 9pm.
But what scared me is that the doctor advice me to switch directly from 9am to 9pm which means in the morning I will take my daily 10 units of Lantus then at the same day 9pm I will take also 10 units, and like that we changed the times.

This is my first time visiting this doctor. And I was aware that I need to change Lantus time step by step like 2 to 4 hours every day. What do guys? If I follow his way of switching may I face a scary hypoglycemia or coma because there is to much Lantus on my body or what

What about if I jump 6 hours every day ?

novorapidboi26

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Well, you would be expecting the AM Lantus to be finishing up in the evening........yes, its meant to keep going to 9am the next morning, but in reality it wont be....it wont be very strong anyway....

You should follow your doctors advice, but I personally, would be tempted to take the new dose just before bed.....then the next night you can bring it back to 9pm....

you could also knock a few units off your evening meal so that you are going to bed and overnight just a tad higher than normal...

alphabeta

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Honestly, no. I would rather gradually move it, or you can skip one day BUT you must inject bolus every few hours (not recommended to do this). Best approach is to move by 4 hours interval.
9AM-1PM-5PM-9PM
Good luck and let us know what happens.

urbanracer

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Not being able to eat as many chocolate digestives as I used to.
Until recently I was using Abasaglar, a biosimilar product to Lantus and I changed from 7am to 7pm at my own volition.

As Abasaglar only lasts about 18hrs in my body, I took a chance and did it in 1 day by taking half my normal dose at 7am and then around 3/4 dose at 7pm and then back to normal dose 7pm the following day.

Figured I'd manage peaks and troughs with extra carbs and the odd unit of rapid acting insulin here and there. Seemed to work out OK (for me!).

Not suggesting you copy this as you need to assess your own patterns but just illustrating that you may have more options than you think.

Reactions: CranberryIce

bmtest

You have a few choices ....

1 - Inject less at 9 am based on Lantus profile ratio time\value basis eg. present dose (x) Lantus units x (24/24)= (x) use (x) Lantus Units x (12/24) = half (x) Lantus Units

2 combat with food and plenty of testing

3 tough it out stay awake all night

4 follow the doctors orders to the letter

4 Use flux capacitor to take you to 9am following day check photgraphs to make sure