Changing long acting?

Curly604

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi,

I am currently using levemier as my long acting insulin. Under diabetic nurses and doctors I have working on getting my morning numbers under control (rest of the day is perfect)

I was taking 6units evening and 4units morning. Waking between 9 and 12.

Have slowly increased this to 11units evening and 4units morning. Still waking 9 and 12 literally no difference at all.

Doctors etc still discussing increasing more slowly.

However I have a niggling feeling that a change of long lasting insulin brand may be beneficial for me?

Has anyone had any experience of something similar?

Or am I completely wrong?

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
It's certainly worth a try, discuss with your diabetes team and see if changing basal insulin is possible, if you change to lantus you may get away with injecting just once a day, if your lucky enough to be prescribed Tresiba then this will definitely mean just the one basal injection a day.

Reactions: 2 people

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
Are those rises immediately on waking -still lying down in bed or after you have got up but before you eat?

iHs

@Curly604

What are your bg levels before going to bed? Also, just to make sure that your bg isn't dropping low in the night and your liver releasing glucose via the hormone glucagon, try to test bg about 2am and 5 am to see what your levels are and at what time the changes happen. I think it can take about 48hrs for any change to the basal to have its true effect.

Curly604

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
This is immediately on waking. Going to bed between 6 and 8.

Have done lots of night tests at varies times and never been low.

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
What foods do you eat from teatime on ward. I only ask because some foods for me cause me hell up to 15 hes later. However My stomach has problems.

What time are you injecting night basal? I only speak from my exeperience . When I went back to MDI I started doing it at 6pm. However, mybest time for it is midnight before bed.

Curly604

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Teatime is very very similar to lunch food and have no issues.

I normally take it around 9pm. I have tried varies other times (over period of time) and no difference at all

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Have you considered asking for a pump?

It may be worth asking your consultant about degludec/tresiba which is taken once a day. However, if you have a random life like I do it may not be a goid choice. I need to alter my basal on days of activity or non activity.. Even at nights. If your days and nights were pretty much the same then it may be that this different insulin may be worth researching? I must warn you though that many CCGs insist upon a consultant begging for it as they believe it is too expensive and unproven...

iHs

This is immediately on waking. Going to bed between 6 and 8.

Have done lots of night tests at varies times and never been low.

If yr bg levels are on 6mmol before bed, is yr bg level on waking lower than if you went to bed on bg of 8mmol. Do you vary the levemir according to what yr bg is before bed. Can you get up in the night and bg test to find out what hours the change happens?

Sking89

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I was perfect on levimir except for my evening levels and a slight red itchiness at the injection site....levels throughout the rest of the day were great. Swapped to lantus and much better for me as it lasts longer so got rid of those highs. Give it a go. You can always change back. You need to find what's right for you.

Reactions: 2 people