Changing Ratios

ljwilson

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Diabetes!
My ratio has always been 2:10 but since losing weight and reducing what I am eating i am having to change. Morning is still 2:10 but lunchtime I only need 1:10 and evenings 1.5:10. Is this common?

Lorna

mo1905

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Rude people !
In short, yes, very common to have different ratio's at different times of the day. Some also have different ratio's for weekdays and weekends. Basically, whatever works for you and keeps your BG levels within target range.

Reactions: 2 people

iHs

I always found it easier to change the carb in the ratio rather than change the insulin, but of course an insulin pen can only deliver in 0.5u increments so you would have to round up the carb or round up the insulin. I always had different ratios so dont worry

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

hale710

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I always found it easier to change the carb in the ratio rather than change the insulin, but of course an insulin pen can only deliver in 0.5u increments so you would have to round up the carb or round up the insulin. I always had different ratios so dont worry

I change the carb too, but DAFNE teaches to change the insulin. Makes no difference though provided the ratio is right at the end of the day :)

Blogging at drivendiabetic.wordpress.com

picklebean

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I change the carb value too. I never really understood why it's taught the other way around. It doesn't seem to make any sense to me when the insulin can only be given in fixed units. But how often is common sense used when forming guidelines about healthcare?!? :rolleyes:

Spiker

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Pumps (mine anyway) also change the carb part of the ratio and keep the insulin part fixed. Much more sensible than the DAFNE way.

megan

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
dishonesty and ********
how are you changing the carb instead of the insulin ratio?

hale710

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
how are you changing the carb instead of the insulin ratio?

So as per DAFNE you start on a 1u:10g ratio. If you need more insulin you change to 1.5u:10g

I was on 1u:14g for lunch, it wasn't enough so I changed to 1u:12g.

It gives far smaller increments for increased accuracy :)

megan

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
dishonesty and ********
And when youre measuring are you weighing and calculating still. I always did this till I got it by sight. The book with all the pics is good but a little vague just going by picture for those of us who need it more precise? I know it has weights under the pics but I guess theres no way round counting and measuring. .which isnt easy if youre out or in a hurry :(

hale710

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I always weigh and measure when I'm at home. This means when I'm out and about I've still got a good idea in my head of portion size. It's not easy though!