Changing to Modified Realease Metformin

Alineden

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Not much really
Hi. I finally go round to requesting a change to modified realease Metformin from standard Metformin. My new prescription states 1 x 500mg tablet with breakfast. My old prescription was for 1 x 500mg tablet with a meal 3 times a day.

So I've gone from 1500mg a day to 500mg. Does this sound right. Is it possibly to check for side effects before increasing to 1 500mg tablet 3 x per day?

It is so difficult to speak to anyone at my GP's these days but I do realise that would be the obvious place to ask this question.

Thanks in advance for any thoughts.

Alan

Andydragon

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi. I finally go round to requesting a change to modified realease Metformin from standard Metformin. My new prescription states 1 x 500mg tablet with breakfast. My old prescription was for 1 x 500mg tablet with a meal 3 times a day.

So I've gone from 1500mg a day to 500mg. Does this sound right. Is it possibly to check for side effects before increasing to 1 500mg tablet 3 x per day?

It is so difficult to speak to anyone at my GP's these days but I do realise that would be the obvious place to ask this question.

Alan
It doesn't sound right I swapped directly from the dosage to the same modified. But you need to speak to your doctor

Reactions: Alineden

JoKalsbeek

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

Alan
Give them a call, maybe someone overlooked your dosage.

Reactions: Alineden

Alineden

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Not much really
As I say I'm hoping it was an introductionary dosage but I will try to ring them tomorrow.