1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2021 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Guest, stay home, stay safe, save the NHS. Stay up to date with information about keeping yourself and people around you safe here and GOV.UK: Coronavirus (COVID-19). Think you have symptoms? NHS 111 service is available here.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Channel 4, Dispatches 10th June.

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by catherinecherub, Jun 10, 2013.

1. misslotty1

misslotty1 · Active Member

2. MCMLXXIII

MCMLXXIII Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Catherinetherub is a brilliant name.

3. Sid Bonkers

Sid Bonkers Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Looks interesting Catherine, thanks for the heads up :thumbup:

4. catherinecherub

catherinecherub · Guest

Just watched the programme.

Worth watching, not only if you are on Byetta, Victoza or Januvia, but the fact that the drug trials are not as open as they should be.

5. zolabud

zolabud Type 2 · Well-Known Member

I just hope the docs have watched this and are preparing themselves for on onslaught.....

6. Tom Jenkins 1408

Tom Jenkins 1408 · Member

Hello all

This is a real worry, I actually have an appointment tomorrow where I know for a fact I will be offered a trial for one of these drugs.

Anyone else on a trial?

Kind regards
    Tom from Croydon

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

7. Robinredbreast

Robinredbreast Type 1 · Oracle

I'm watching it now on Channel 4 + 1, it does seems worrying. I missed the intro ,did they say Type 2 diabetes, as all I have heard, so far is Diabetes?

RRB

8. Janz_e@hotmail

[email protected] Type 2 · Newbie

I gave been in this drug a month and had a few side affects which I've researched and found out more on how to deal with it... This program had opened up more worries for me as the nurse and doctors definitely do not know enough about it

9. Bree26

Bree26 Type 2 · Newbie

Hi there I was on victoza last year and I got acute pancreatitis and I am very lucky to be here . If I had left it a day I wouldn't be :-(
    I was hospitalised for 21 days and now I am on insulin . I think the drug companies should be held accountable for the danger they are putting people in . I had a scan on my pancreas today and we get the results back on Friday . So here's hoping my pancreas is ok if not I may consider legal action against the drug companies .

10. Giverny

Giverny Friend · Admin
    Administrator

There's actually been a lot of complaints at the fact that they rarely differentiated between type 1 and type 2. These people are supposed to be well informed and should really, really know better...

11. connie104

connie104 Type 2 · Well-Known Member

I have been reading the links on Facebook today and at least 2 type 1 diabetes sufferers spoke of the self induced overeating diabetes which type 2 sufferers are.. Are they really that misinformed to say this? Many type 2 's are not overweight and have led a healthy lifestyle before being diagnosed. Many factors can cause it. It seems these people think they are the diabetes elite because they have type 1. No one wants diabetes and we should not think one type is self inflicted

12. Robinredbreast

Robinredbreast Type 1 · Oracle

Hi I'm glad to say I don't have Facebook (or spacebook as I call it) :roll: A large % of Type 2's are overweight when diagnosed,but not all and Type 1's are a very small majority and maybe these 2 type 1's are feeling left out or over whelmed by the huge rise in Type 2's, who knows. Of course no one wants to have diabetes, whatever type. I read in the Daily Record today that an anonymous type 2 is the first Scottish diabetic to have a this endo? tube fitted to stop him from eating too much( not gastro band surgery). It is left in for a year and there are 220,000 type 2's in Scotland, but this is from memory. Or it probably can be found online.

13. connie104

connie104 Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Many obese people do not have diabetes in fact I am not overweight and I am type 2 but I have 2 obese friends who do not have it. Type 2 does not go hand in hand with being obese it is a factor for some but for others its not. Every time type 2 is mentioned it seems you are classified as a overweight person who eats too much and does not exercise which for many of us is just not the case.

14. MCMLXXIII

MCMLXXIII Type 2 · Well-Known Member

HERE HERE!

15. LittleGreyCat

LittleGreyCat Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Often quoted:

80% of T2s are obese when diagnosed.

80% of obese people are not T2.

So the popular conception of T2s as 'lardy people' is based on the odds that 4 out of 5 are.

However the 1 in 5 who aren't (myself included) do find the stereotyping irritating!

Cheers

LGC

16. WeeWillie

WeeWillie Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Dash it, I missed that one. :?

17. anna29

anna29 Type 2 · Well-Known Member
    Retired Moderator

Here is another thread on it .
    Also the chance to watch it :thumbup:

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=43203

It is interesting as I do now use victoza and used to use Januvia [sitaglyptin]

Anna .

18. WeeWillie

WeeWillie Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Brilliant Anna. :clap:

I appreciate you looking for the link and posting it.
    I've now Bookmarked it.

Thank you. :thumbup:

willie.

• Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook