Channel 4, Dispatches 10th June.

Sid Bonkers

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Customer helplines that use recorded menus that promise to put me through to the right person but never do - and being ill. Oh, and did I mention customer helplines :)
Looks interesting Catherine, thanks for the heads up :thumbup:

C

catherinecherub

Just watched the programme.

Worth watching, not only if you are on Byetta, Victoza or Januvia, but the fact that the drug trials are not as open as they should be.

zolabud

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Whelks,winkles... All crustaceous seafood except prawns. Can't do crab.lobster or scallops.
Don't like the way they are killed and cooked. Save our Scallops. SOS !!!
Also HATE evaporated milk.
I just hope the docs have watched this and are preparing themselves for on onslaught.....

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
I'm watching it now on Channel 4 + 1, it does seems worrying. I missed the intro ,did they say Type 2 diabetes, as all I have heard, so far is Diabetes?

RRB

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I gave been in this drug a month and had a few side affects which I've researched and found out more on how to deal with it... This program had opened up more worries for me as the nurse and doctors definitely do not know enough about it

Bree26

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Hi there I was on victoza last year and I got acute pancreatitis and I am very lucky to be here . If I had left it a day I wouldn't be :-(
I was hospitalised for 21 days and now I am on insulin . I think the drug companies should be held accountable for the danger they are putting people in . I had a scan on my pancreas today and we get the results back on Friday . So here's hoping my pancreas is ok if not I may consider legal action against the drug companies .

Giverny

Admin
Administrator
Type of diabetes
Friend
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Dislikes
Dishonest people, pessimism, spiders, mushrooms.
Robinredbreast said:
I'm watching it now on Channel 4 + 1, it does seems worrying. I missed the intro ,did they say Type 2 diabetes, as all I have heard, so far is Diabetes?

RRB
There's actually been a lot of complaints at the fact that they rarely differentiated between type 1 and type 2. These people are supposed to be well informed and should really, really know better...

connie104

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I have been reading the links on Facebook today and at least 2 type 1 diabetes sufferers spoke of the self induced overeating diabetes which type 2 sufferers are.. Are they really that misinformed to say this? Many type 2 's are not overweight and have led a healthy lifestyle before being diagnosed. Many factors can cause it. It seems these people think they are the diabetes elite because they have type 1. No one wants diabetes and we should not think one type is self inflicted

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
connie104 said:
I have been reading the links on Facebook today and at least 2 type 1 diabetes sufferers spoke of the self induced overeating diabetes which type 2 sufferers are.. Are they really that misinformed to say this? Many type 2 's are not overweight and have led a healthy lifestyle before being diagnosed. Many factors can cause it. It seems these people think they are the diabetes elite because they have type 1. No one wants diabetes and we should not think one type is self inflicted

Hi I'm glad to say I don't have Facebook (or spacebook as I call it) :roll: A large % of Type 2's are overweight when diagnosed,but not all and Type 1's are a very small majority and maybe these 2 type 1's are feeling left out or over whelmed by the huge rise in Type 2's, who knows. Of course no one wants to have diabetes, whatever type. I read in the Daily Record today that an anonymous type 2 is the first Scottish diabetic to have a this endo? tube fitted to stop him from eating too much( not gastro band surgery). It is left in for a year and there are 220,000 type 2's in Scotland, but this is from memory. Or it probably can be found online.

connie104

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Many obese people do not have diabetes in fact I am not overweight and I am type 2 but I have 2 obese friends who do not have it. Type 2 does not go hand in hand with being obese it is a factor for some but for others its not. Every time type 2 is mentioned it seems you are classified as a overweight person who eats too much and does not exercise which for many of us is just not the case.

MCMLXXIII

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
connie104 said:
Many obese people do not have diabetes in fact I am not overweight and I am type 2 but I have 2 obese friends who do not have it. Type 2 does not go hand in hand with being obese it is a factor for some but for others its not. Every time type 2 is mentioned it seems you are classified as a overweight person who eats too much and does not exercise which for many of us is just not the case.

HERE HERE!

LittleGreyCat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Diet drinks - the artificial sweeteners taste vile.
Having to forswear foods I have loved all my life.
Trying to find low carb meals when eating out.
Often quoted:

80% of T2s are obese when diagnosed.

80% of obese people are not T2.

So the popular conception of T2s as 'lardy people' is based on the odds that 4 out of 5 are.

However the 1 in 5 who aren't (myself included) do find the stereotyping irritating!

Cheers

LGC

WeeWillie

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Dictators who positively go out of their way to force misery, tears and fears, upon their countryman's lives.
Politicians who, in dealing with dictators, have a wishbone where a backbone should be.
Dash it, I missed that one. :?

anna29

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Cruelty to Animals/Children
Liars/Manipulators/Bullying
WeeWillie said:

Here is another thread on it .
Also the chance to watch it :thumbup:

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=43203

It is interesting as I do now use victoza and used to use Januvia [sitaglyptin]

Anna .

WeeWillie

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Dictators who positively go out of their way to force misery, tears and fears, upon their countryman's lives.
Politicians who, in dealing with dictators, have a wishbone where a backbone should be.
anna29 said:
WeeWillie said:

Here is another thread on it .
Also the chance to watch it :thumbup:

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=43203

It is interesting as I do now use victoza and used to use Januvia [sitaglyptin]

Anna .

Brilliant Anna. :clap:

I appreciate you looking for the link and posting it.
I've now Bookmarked it.

Thank you. :thumbup:

willie.