Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
We would not be human if we didn't feel pity and despair for these young people in last night's programme, living life with a condition like diabetes isn't easy at any age, more-so when you are going through the teenage years of raging hormones, boyfriends/girlfriends and just generally trying to have a good time whilst trying not to stick out. These youngsters are heading for heaps of trouble in later years with diabetic complications, I can't see them changing their view or outlook.

What worried me most was the lack of input by the parents, basically leaving these kids to the own devices in managing their condition, neither knowing or caring if they are testing bg regularly, injecting insulin or taking oral medications. Surely it is a parental instinct to want the best for your children, and these includes taking care of them when they sick, ensuring they are taking prescribed meds and making sure they attend hospital/clinic appointments. Perhaps if these parents took a more pro-active approach to their children's diabetes, these kids featured may, at the very least have a fighting chance.

What the makers of this programme failed to show is that there are young people who are very well controlled, and do attend clinic appointments and take great care of their diabetes. Perhaps by showing what can be achieved with a little care and attention, the programme would have had some balance, but all it done was portray the youth of today with diabetes in a bad way, and painted a picture that the viewer will undoubtedly draw the wrong conclusion...... :(

Nigel

This program concentrated on young people mostly with type 1 diabetes, but neglecting your health and diabetes happens across all ages and types.

What it can sometimes difficult to understand is that not everyone has preventing future health problems as their highest priority. They may be caring for a sick child or relative, juggling a couple of jobs and a family to support or have other health problems such as mental health issues. Employers these days are also not that sympathetic about hospital appointments and no one wants to single themselves outs the one taking lots of time off. Oh and it's about food - which in these tough times can be someone's only enjoyment in the day.

It's easy to say that people should have their entitlement taken away if they miss appointments - but that doesn't allow for someone to make a decision that it is time to change and for them to ask for help in doing so.

Sid Bonkers

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Customer helplines that use recorded menus that promise to put me through to the right person but never do - and being ill. Oh, and did I mention customer helplines :)
ebony321 said:
Another reason to curse the younger generation aye!?

I have read many comments on this series saying that it is just aimed at demonising todays youth.

I found a link to Channel 4 where you can watch it on line so if anyone wants to see it heres the link
http://www.channel4.com/programmes/the- ... od#3113934

You will need to digitally sign that you are over 18 to watch it (click a link).

ebony321

Dislikes
Tomatoes, Rude people, Bees!
Sid Bonkers said:
ebony321 said:
Another reason to curse the younger generation aye!?

I have read many comments on this series saying that it is just aimed at demonising todays youth.

I found a link to Channel 4 where you can watch it on line so if anyone wants to see it heres the link
http://www.channel4.com/programmes/the- ... od#3113934

You will need to digitally sign that you are over 18 to watch it (click a link).

I might have a look see at that, as i'm at work on my break i'll have to remember to try it at home!

When i was first diagnosed and went to the Doc's as i suspected diabetes and listed my symptoms he accused me of drinking too much alcochol and didnt believe how much weight i'd lost until he actually gave in and checked my chart, felt like i was being penalised because i was twenty!!

I'm sure there's a good few adults who neglect their health too, but it would have been nice for them to end the show with what can be acheived with good control.

imagine a teenager with diabetes watching that and thinking well if they can get away with it so can i, i would rather them see a 'happy ending' so instead they think well if they can do so well so can i!! just my HO :)

jameshallam

I saw an article about this in the metro the next day so I watched in online. I couldn't believe what I was seeing! It made me glad that I was not a doctor, at least I only have to deal with my own diabetes, not try and help the hundreds of patients - some who obviously couldn't care less about the consequences 20 years later...

Dippy3103

Lasts nights episode about people with liver disease went along similar lines.
They were making the "who gets the transplant" decisions. My heart went out to the poor Dr that had to tell the very sick man that he wouldn't get his transplant, which was in effect a death sentance. I understand that there are only a limited number of organs available and it is owed to the families of the donars (if no one else) that the organ goes to someone who has a shot at a decent life.
I do think the day is not that far off where diabetics who don't take some responsibilaty for their own condition may be denied treatment. If that is right or not is another debate.