Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi @kimbo1962

I'm reading a book called Keto-Adapted by Maria Emmerich
It is a fascinating read.
What is most interesting to me at the moment are her comments on the other things that the liver does, and how our whole hormonal system is affected by a fatty liver, including thyroid and menopause. With the benefits to ketosis as a contrast. Also, did you know that 60% of people who no longer have fatty livers are left with scar tissue, which may affect liver function after the fat has gone...?

Not telling you this to depress you! Just to illustrate how much useful info is in the book.
Although it isn't aimed at 'us', and some of her suggestions do not seem relevant to diabetics.

The hormone info, and suggested supplements are particularly interesting to me as menopause looms on the horizon.

Thought you might find it interesting too...

Last edited by a moderator:

kimbo1962

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
What a lovely nurse you have. I'm another anti-med person. If I can feel healthy and well, have good blood results, good liver and kidney functions, good calcium levels and bone density, good blood pressure and good cholesterol without meds then I am happy. A good healthy diet is the key, with some exercise thrown in. Good luck with your transition Kim, I'm sure with your positive attitude you won't have any problems. Throw that crutch away.
Thank you for that bluetit, it means a lot coming from you, someone I have had advice and support from since I joined our elite group! I am now quiet looking forward to the challenge of being meds free, as my nurse said, the forxiga simply forces the kidneys to do the job so I plan to keep up my water intake and keep them busy still! Ten more days and my signature will state "diet and exercise only" too! Stay tuned

Reactions: 6 people