Cheese and the LCHF - portion size/quantity?

IronLioness

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Routine
Hello folks, so I've been reading about cheese being better for T2D's than carbs and sugar, of course. Question is how much 'cheese' is OK?

I've just weighed in and wasn't too chuffed that I'd stayed the same this week (last week I was down 6lb),the only difference is the addition of cheese to my diet, seeing as I've cut carbs for the best part. I'm thinking of ditching the cheese now, too.

Odd/silly question but I'm still getting my head around the low carb high fat diet, so what quantity of cheese should I be looking at? - or not, as the case may be, ha!

Reactions: neithskye

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Well I'm going to ask how much are you having? For some people cheese (and other dairy products) can be slightly problematic. I would suggest a week of no cheese see what happens.... then a week of cheese see what happens. If you can try and keep everything else the same.

Reactions: IronLioness

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Cheese is very calorific. During the period I was losing weight I ate none at all. When I was attempting to stop losing and then maintain, I added cheese back. However, I also added back more red wine and a lot more eggs, so take your pick! Either try what @bulkbiker suggested, or weigh your cheese scrupulously, record the amounts in your food diary, and if necessary reduce the amount. Cheese is important in a lot of ways because of the nutrients, and makes a handy snack if you snack. It may be a shame to discontinue it completely.

6lb was a massive loss in a week, and may have been mostly fluid. One week of no loss isn't a disaster. You didn't gain either. So I wouldn't worry for now and see what happens next week. Just keep your eyes open for trends.

IronLioness

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Routine
Well I'm going to ask how much are you having? For some people cheese (and other dairy products) can be slightly problematic. I would suggest a week of no cheese see what happens.... then a week of cheese see what happens. If you can try and keep everything else the same.
Thanks BB, I've given up on the cheese this week to see how things are. I didn't think I had too much but of course, ones own ideas are a little skewed, maybe. I've swerved all cheese so I'll see how it goes tomorrow. Thanks again

IronLioness

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Routine
Cheese is very calorific. During the period I was losing weight I ate none at all. When I was attempting to stop losing and then maintain, I added cheese back. However, I also added back more red wine and a lot more eggs, so take your pick! Either try what @bulkbiker suggested, or weigh your cheese scrupulously, record the amounts in your food diary, and if necessary reduce the amount. Cheese is important in a lot of ways because of the nutrients, and makes a handy snack if you snack. It may be a shame to discontinue it completely.

6lb was a massive loss in a week, and may have been mostly fluid. One week of no loss isn't a disaster. You didn't gain either. So I wouldn't worry for now and see what happens next week. Just keep your eyes open for trends.
Thanks Blue, I think, for now, it may be worth me steering clear of cheese. I've gone without this week to see how things fare up tomorrow on the scale. As you've said, with cheese being so darn calorific I'm loathed to add in - I was trying to test out the low carb high fat diet format - but clearly failing, doh.

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks BB, I've given up on the cheese this week to see how things are. I didn't think I had too much but of course, ones own ideas are a little skewed, maybe. I've swerved all cheese so I'll see how it goes tomorrow. Thanks again
Please let us know what happens.. I'm contemplating a 5-7 day fast next week.. but maybe I'l do egg fast instead so may have some cheese too.. hmmm decisions decisions..

Reactions: IronLioness

IronLioness

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Routine
Please let us know what happens.. I'm contemplating a 5-7 day fast next week.. but maybe I'l do egg fast instead so may have some cheese too.. hmmm decisions decisions..
Update, I've just weighed myself (I couldn't wait until tomorrow morning), using Salter digi scales, on a like-for-like basis (same time of day etc) and I'm down 5lb! Great news for me, but bad news for the cheese - it's being ditched, for now. Its the main thing I've removed from my diet since last week Friday, so a week of no cheese and the weight is coming off again. I'll keep off it for now and stay with what I swapped it for last week - eggs and olives.

Reactions: Serena51

Dr Snoddy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Trolls
Hi, when my total cholesterol levels increased I decided to give up all saturated fat sources for 3 months. So, no cheese at all. And no reduction in weight or cholesterol after 3 months! Added I-2 servings (matchbox size) of cheese per day back in over a year ago. No change in weight or cholesterol but probably more calcium in diet!

IronLioness

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Routine
Hi, when my total cholesterol levels increased I decided to give up all saturated fat sources for 3 months. So, no cheese at all. And no reduction in weight or cholesterol after 3 months! Added I-2 servings (matchbox size) of cheese per day back in over a year ago. No change in weight or cholesterol but probably more calcium in diet!
I'm going to forgoe the cheese for the moment. Myself and brie/camembert have a long standing love/hate relationship which always has negative impact on the scales, haha... I'll steer clear at the moment.

Guna108

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Are there particular cheeses that have less carbs than others or are better to use on a LCHF diet e.g Edam? I'm vegetarian, but don't eat eggs , so cheese is something I was still hoping to use in moderation. (I'm trying to lose weight as well).

Reactions: carty

Listlad

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I eat plenty of Brie. And am still losing weight at about 2 kg per month on average.

Reactions: Guna108