Cheese and wine

Pura Vida

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Using data from the UK Biobank — a large database containing the genetic and health profiles of more than half a million people — researchers discovered that cheese offered the most protection against cognitive problems, even in older patients. They also found the daily consumption of alcohol, particularly red wine, pairs well with improved cognitive function as does the weekly consumption of lamb — but not other red meats. Excessive salt consumption was worrying trend, but researchers noted that only those already at risk for Alzheimer’s disease may need to dial back their intake to avoid cognitive issues later in life.

“I was pleasantly surprised that our results suggest that responsibly eating cheese and drinking red wine daily are not just good for helping us cope with our current COVID-19 pandemic, but perhaps also dealing with an increasingly complex world that never seems to slow down,” said Auriel Willette, the study’s principal investigator and an assistant professor of food science and human nutrition. “While we took into account whether this was just due to what well-off people eat and drink, randomized clinical trials are needed to determine if making easy changes in our diet could help our brains in significant ways.”

Reactions: Speedbird

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
What about red wine, lamb and cheese all being foods associated with better education, higher income, better living standards?

Reactions: Robbity

carty

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
We eat lamb maybe once a week ,drink red wine 3 or 4 times a week ,and cheese every day .We are OAPs on a limited income and live in a terraced house .!

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
I don't like wine :yuck: but I absolutely adore cheese :joyful::happy:

Robbity

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Sounds like a perfect WOE for me
The combination of blue cheese and red wine was certainly a serious cause for woe for me as a migraine sufferer, as this was my worst food type trigger ever! Low carbing has helped put an end to migraines, but I still avoid that combination though small quantities of them separately are not an issue, but I rarely drink alcohol anyway now. Other cheese has always been fine fortunately!

Pura Vida

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
We eat lamb maybe once a week ,drink red wine 3 or 4 times a week ,and cheese every day .We are OAPs on a limited income and live in a terraced house .!
I prefer cheese over meat ,only one of two glasses of wine,a week,

lucylocket61

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
was pleasantly surprised that our results suggest that responsibly eating cheese
I confess to being an irresponsible cheese eater, more is better :dead:

I have lamb twice a month, and no wine as I don't like alcohol.

Ushthetaff

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Mountain out of mole hill makers ,queues , crowds , shopping on a Saturday hmm just shopping I guess no matter what day it is
Ohh Chateau Neuf du Pape and Stilton bring it on

Reactions: OrsonKartt

Ushthetaff

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Mountain out of mole hill makers ,queues , crowds , shopping on a Saturday hmm just shopping I guess no matter what day it is
Ohh wine and walnuts not a good mixture , the word Gatling Gun springs to mind lol