Cheese cake test

Keano100

So basically as I’ve done really well last 3 months with diet and exercise. Hb 101 to 52 and lost 2 stone. My numbers consistently 5s or high 4s before meal I decided to see how I’d react to a slice of cheese cake. So stopped at my favourite patisserie on way home had a decent size slice of blueberry cheesecake and a green tea. Made sure my 30 min stroll home was very leisurely and took a reading after 90 minutes and was 6.5. I was pleasantly surprised told myself anything under 8 I’d be happy. Now in retrospect I realise I should have had something that I knew exact sugar Content as this could be some really healthy cheesecake lol. I’m gonna try find out tomorrow. But if it has got a decent sugar content what does this suggest ? Have I somehow got my body back inline and it’s processing sugar normally ? Can someone maybe suggest a better test ?

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
One random reading doesn’t tell you much. You need to take a reading right before you eat and then regular checks, maybe every half hour afterwards to catch the peak. You might just have to have another slice of the cheesecake if you really want to know it’s effect! Personally I’d give cheesecake a miss ;)

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Made sure my 30 min stroll home was very leisurely and took a reading after 90 minutes

As regular cakes go, cheesecake is likely a better option than some - doesn’t tend to be quite so sweet/sugar laden as others and it’s easy to ignore/ remove any base in favour of the cheesy bit.

Having said that, assuming there was a sizeable amount of fat in the cheesecake (usually is if it’s any good), then any spike could be a) delayed and b) sustained as the fat would slow down the absorption of the sugar, so if you’re wanting to really see it’s impact, test right before eating it and then a few more times - I’d suggest 1 hour, 1.5 hours, 2 hours and 3 hours. Even then you might miss something, but it’d give you a better idea.

The slow walk may also have kept the rise down a bit.

Reactions: Keano100