Cheiroarthropathy, Dexa and Glucose Levels

IonutzPopa

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hey guys! Just want to share my experience with Dexamethasone. Type I for 36 years now :)(think happy thoughts).
After being diagnosed with cheiroarthropathy a while ago (total disaster, cannot play guitar anymore:banghead:), my (dumb) doctor thought it would be a good ideea to inject my palms with a cocktail - lidocaine , tolperisone and dexamethasone. I know a thing or two about corticosteroids so I asked him what abou my insulin dosage? "Double it!"
Said and done. In the first day of treatment my blood glucose spiked at 460 mg/dl (around 26 mmol/l) and manage to lower it down to 200 mg/dl (11 mmol/l), after injecting insulin , A LOT OF IT, after 8 hours... It's now my 3rd day on this cocktail and even I tripled my doses I can't get a decent value. The worst part? Superhigh numbers seems to appear at night time, keepin me awake, not to mention the unstoppable hiccups (looking like Porky Pig when I'm talking :***:) My Libre went nuts after these values :woot:.
It's clear to me that I have to stop the treatment, although it started to work. Oh, and a question for you : does anyone know a treatment for cheiroarthropahy, other than dexa, which not messes with my blood sugar ? I'm lost in the woods here, along with my doctor:sorry:...

Last edited:

Dark Horse

This article says, "With improved glycemic control, the symptoms and signs can be ameliorated. Some authors even suggest that complete reversal of DCA is possible." https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3671228/

Physiotherapy(physical therapy) is also thought to help maintain mobility. There's some general hand exercises here:- http://worthingmedicalgroup.co.uk/Advice for Patients - Hand Pain and Stiffness.pdf However, it's probably best to take specific advice from a physiotherapist.

Reactions: IonutzPopa

IonutzPopa

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Thanks, I already read first article :) . About physiotherapy, I'm going this afternoon to... I am interested in personal experiences