Chicken pox

Gemmablower

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi I thought this would be a good place to ask ...
I'm questioning getting my 4 year old vaccinated against chicken pox, she was diagnosed with type 1 just over 2 years ago and I'm feeling a little worried about the effect the pox may have on little one due to her diabetes.
I thinky worry stems from I have had two close friends and their children had a very bad reaction to chicken pox which included seizures and the other a swelling on the brain.

I wondered, anyone had their child vaccinated and how ill were they from the vaccine?
Parents that have been through chicken pox with diabetes, do you think it effected your child worse or am i worrying too
Much?
I know America vaccinate against it but here it's not routinely done.
Would be greatful for your thoughts. X

S

Shar67

I think you should speak to your GP about the pros and cons, if you vaccinate against chicken pox your child may be more susceptible to shingles as having chicken pox as a child helps your natural immunity.

Gemmablower

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Thank you for advice so far. I am swayi g in the direction of having the vaccine. I have discussed it with 2 endocronologists and a divided opinion from both of them so I kind of wanted to see people's experiences of vaccination and none vaccine if anyone had any?

Gemmablower

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
No, it's not routinely done. Which is a shame.

She may be able to have it done due to having type 1. Have you asked your GP about it?

My daughter had chicken pox many years before she was diagnosed with type 1 but even so, it was awful. She was so poorly and so was her sister. And that was without the added complication of diabetes!
Thank you , yes this is what I'm worried about. I will talk with GP

S

Shar67

tigger

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
registrars asking silly questions
I had it as a child relatively mildly. My sister who did not have type 1 or any other condition had it much worse. I am having 2 of my children vaccinated but that's because they havea sibling with a different auto immune condition on heavy immunosuppressants and he falls in the category that chickenpox can be fatal. The nhs covers it in these cases. I wouldn't do it for any other reason.

BrianTheElder

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Snide people
Definitely discuss with your GP.
Shar67's information about shingles is incorrect. You can only get shingles if you have already had chickenpox. See http://www.nhs.uk/conditions/Shingles/Pages/Introduction.aspx
And I would add that the virus from chicken pox lives on in your nervous system and can reappear at any time as shingles. I should know, I have had shingles 4 times, the last following an anti-shingles jab last year.

BrianTheElder

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Snide people

endocrinegremlin

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People telling me how to control my diabetes. My health. Isms. People walking their dogs off leads in illegal areas. Meat that bleeds. Late buses.
All I can offer is that I was diabetic when I got chicken pox and my mum made sure I got them. My cousin had them and she had us hang around each other a lot until I came down with them too. She closely watched me and my diabetes but I was so worse or better than any other kid. In fact I was pretty good. If you ask her I was too active and being stuck in the house drove us both mad! I think it is better to think about the other ailments that relate to chicken pox and how more dangerous they are to anyone. Children are far capable of fighting off a bout of pox and protecting themselves for later life than adults are at dealing with facing illnesses with no previous immunity.