1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2020 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Guest, stay home, stay safe, save the NHS. Stay up to date with information about keeping yourself and people around you safe here and GOV.UK: Coronavirus (COVID-19). Think you have symptoms? NHS 111 service is available here.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Chicken pox

Discussion in 'Type 1 Diabetes' started by Gemmablower, Feb 3, 2017.

1. Gemmablower

Gemmablower Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Hi I thought this would be a good place to ask ...
    I'm questioning getting my 4 year old vaccinated against chicken pox, she was diagnosed with type 1 just over 2 years ago and I'm feeling a little worried about the effect the pox may have on little one due to her diabetes.
    I thinky worry stems from I have had two close friends and their children had a very bad reaction to chicken pox which included seizures and the other a swelling on the brain.

I wondered, anyone had their child vaccinated and how ill were they from the vaccine?
    Parents that have been through chicken pox with diabetes, do you think it effected your child worse or am i worrying too
    Much?
    I know America vaccinate against it but here it's not routinely done.
    Would be greatful for your thoughts. X

2. Shar67

Shar67 · Guest

I think you should speak to your GP about the pros and cons, if you vaccinate against chicken pox your child may be more susceptible to shingles as having chicken pox as a child helps your natural immunity.

3. copepod

copepod Type 1 · Well-Known Member

• Agree Agree x 2
  4. Gemmablower

Thank you for advice so far. I am swayi g in the direction of having the vaccine. I have discussed it with 2 endocronologists and a divided opinion from both of them so I kind of wanted to see people's experiences of vaccination and none vaccine if anyone had any?

5. Gemmablower

Thank you , yes this is what I'm worried about. I will talk with GP

6. Shar67

Shar67 · Guest

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. tigger

tigger Type 1 · Well-Known Member

I had it as a child relatively mildly. My sister who did not have type 1 or any other condition had it much worse. I am having 2 of my children vaccinated but that's because they havea sibling with a different auto immune condition on heavy immunosuppressants and he falls in the category that chickenpox can be fatal. The nhs covers it in these cases. I wouldn't do it for any other reason.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  8. BrianTheElder

BrianTheElder Type 2 · Well-Known Member

And I would add that the virus from chicken pox lives on in your nervous system and can reappear at any time as shingles. I should know, I have had shingles 4 times, the last following an anti-shingles jab last year.

9. BrianTheElder

BrianTheElder Type 2 · Well-Known Member

You would normally get shingles following a bout of chicken pox (often after many years). But if you have the virus introduced as an immunisation, then you would be immune from chicken pox, but not, I believe, shingles.

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. endocrinegremlin

endocrinegremlin Type 1 · Well-Known Member

All I can offer is that I was diabetic when I got chicken pox and my mum made sure I got them. My cousin had them and she had us hang around each other a lot until I came down with them too. She closely watched me and my diabetes but I was so worse or better than any other kid. In fact I was pretty good. If you ask her I was too active and being stuck in the house drove us both mad! I think it is better to think about the other ailments that relate to chicken pox and how more dangerous they are to anyone. Children are far capable of fighting off a bout of pox and protecting themselves for later life than adults are at dealing with facing illnesses with no previous immunity.

• Agree Agree x 1
  • Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook