Chickpea for diabetics

Sid Bonkers

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Customer helplines that use recorded menus that promise to put me through to the right person but never do - and being ill. Oh, and did I mention customer helplines :)
Chick peas are a low GI pulse that after soaking and cooking or straight from a can (processed) have around 15g of carbs per 100g. I often cook a Chana Masala (chick pea curry) as a side dish when I cook curry and find a couple of spoonfuls do very little to my bg levels, that said I have no idea how much two spoonfuls weigh but I guess it would be a lot less than 100g.

I also find Humus which is made from chick peas is OK for me as well, I just have to watch what I eat with it, bread etc I usually have just a small pita bread, I think the fat in the humus helps to slow down the digestion of it so probably very low GI.

GI means glycemic Index which is a number given to foods that shows how they affect blood glucose (bg) levels, a food with a high GI will tend to raise bg higher and faster than one with a lower GI. Lower GI foods will generally be digested slower so they release their glucose/energy more slowly or over a longer period.

As always though the only way to know if chick peas are for you is to test your bg before and 2 hours after eating, thit is the only sure way to know if they are OK for you :thumbup:

MYY

I love chick peas.

I always thought Chick peas were very fattening and therefore avoided it as much as possible.

Good advice on testing before and after eating this delicious meal.

Thanks Sid.

hallii

Chick peas are an excellent choice for vegetarian T2s like me :D

Also Tofu, red beans, black beans, lentils, green or red, yellow split peas or OK in moderation.

Moroccan chick pea salad (From the BBC Food website)
Ingredients
2 aubergines
2-3 tbsp olive oil
400g can chickpeas
good bunch fresh coriander , roughly chopped
1 red onion , finely chopped

FOR THE DRESSING1 tsp each paprika and ground cumin
1 tsp clear honey
1 lemon , juice only
4 tbsp olive oil

Very nice!

H

CathyN

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
prejudice, racism, complacency, ignorance
Chick peas are magic. A quick curry can be made with onions, garlic, chick peas, maybe some mushrooms and some spinach - with your choice of curry flavours and spices. A dash of coconut milk sets it off beautifully. :thumbup: