Child proofing my tubing

LaughingHyena

Anyone else using a pump who has young children, how do you "child proof" it?

I'm due to start on the pump in a few weeks and this is one of my biggest worries. My youngest has some special needs making it more difficult to explain to him not to pull on the tubing and so on, though obviously we'll still be telling him. Also I still end up picking him up and carrying him and he can have some pretty nasty tantrums at times and an a bit concerned that I'll catch the tubing.

I've been told about taping the tube to my tummy to give a safety loop so a tug shouldn't pull out the cannula which sounds like a good start.

I guess I'm wondering if there are some places to site the cannula where is less likely to be a problem, or if there are cases/belts which work better for keeping it all tucked out of the way. I suspect just putting it in my pocket or clipping it on my belt is not going to work out, at least at first.

kangoo

I got my Medtronic pump a couple of weeks ago. There were two funny plastic things in the box. The nurse explained that these are clips to gather up excess tubing to stop it hanging out everywhere.

Don't know which brand you are getting but there might be something similar in your box?

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

Pbilli

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
A lot of ladies wear their pump under clothing using a bra case. I would imagine anynloose cabling can be taped to the skin using micro porous tape

iHs

Hi

Infusion sets come in different designs and all have different lengths of tubing that you can choose. Lots of women have their pumps either in their bras or hanging from them using a pump bra case with a strap or use a Spibelt which goes around the tummy with a compartment to hold the pump underneath clothing. Some just attach the pump to their wastebands using the pump clip provided. I have a Combo pump which has the remote to work it so am able to put pump in bra and forget about it as tubing is also underneath clothing so is virtually invisible. I just use the remote to do a bg test and then deliver the insulin from the remote.

A really good dirt cheap pump holder is a small kid's sock which can be used with a piece of Velcro stitched at open end or a popper to stop pump from coming out and a length of circular elastic threaded through the foot part of the sock using a hole punch and some nail varnish to neaten the hole and then just loop the elastic through the side or centre of your bra. If you want to put the set in your leg with a short piece of tubing, then you could use a piece of tubigrip (chemist) and put that on your leg with the pump inside the folds.

You'll be able to manage so try not to worry.....

LaughingHyena

Thanks folks, some good ideas there. The spibelt looks a good bet.

I'm reasonably handy with a sewing machine so I'll probably make a couple of my own cases in time but I'd like to have something lined up for the first few days. Loving the sock idea, now off to search the odd sock pile for suitable small socks.

Bra sounds like it might work OK at home, but with no remote it may be a bit much if out for a meal. Slightly ironic to never pop off to the loo to inject but start popping off to fish my pump out . No matter how subtle my kid would need to announce it at the top of thier voices :lol:

ElyDave

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Interesting thread, I'm also hoping to get on the pump at some point and this is also one of my concerns. I've also got a young (10) son with special needs who can be quite grabby and could pull at it accidentally.

I was thinking of just keeping the tubing short and taped to my skin in several places using durapore tape, which is an artificial silk based surgical tape and is a bit stronger adhesive than micropore and more sweat resistant.

Gizmo123

Hi when I got my pump my youngest was a baby. I use Medtronic silhouettes which insert at an angle and therefore more secure if tugged. I wear mine clipped to my waist and my tubbing tucked down into my trousers. It has survived countless pulls, tubing being caught on door handles etc and only one has ever come out.
If your wee one is likely to try to pull it you could have the set in your leg and then the pump in your pocket, just make a tiny hole in your pocket so you can feed the tubbing through and that way its safe and out of the way. You will find a way that works for you. :).
If I'm out and its hooked to my bra I just rummage around to fish it out and to be honest no ones ever commented. I may look a bit odd but I'm careful not to flash anything

ElyDave

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Gizmo123 said:
Hi when I got my pump my youngest was a baby. I use Medtronic silhouettes which insert at an angle and therefore more secure if tugged. I wear mine clipped to my waist and my tubbing tucked down into my trousers. It has survived countless pulls, tubing being caught on door handles etc and only one has ever come out.
If your wee one is likely to try to pull it you could have the set in your leg and then the pump in your pocket, just make a tiny hole in your pocket so you can feed the tubbing through and that way its safe and out of the way. You will find a way that works for you. :).
If I'm out and its hooked to my bra I just rummage around to fish it out and to be honest no ones ever commented. I may look a bit odd but I'm careful not to flash anything

That conjures up all sorts of images of Richard and Judy moments :lol:

Don't you lose things out of all your pockets now?