Child starting up with Tandem + Dexcom G6

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi all - I live in Tanzania, and we are taking my 7year old son home to start him up on a Tandem + Dexcom G6 system. We need to get it right as we go back ASAP after he gets the pump/sensors. He usually is in school/sports at 8 am – 4 pm, and that is my main concern.

All advice on how to manage his diabetes with this setup would be highly appreciated.

I was wondering: Should he get a phone so that we can follow his Dexcom-readings? Is there an Android Phone that works great, or does he need an iPhone? Does he need the Dexcom receiver?

During sports/swimming: does he take off sensor-transmitter and pump? – can we expect issues with that?

He is rather skinny, but that does not concern his doctor much. Any experience with where to put sensor/infusion set?

Cheers

Soren

EllieM

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
forum bugs
I was wondering: Should he get a phone so that we can follow his Dexcom-readings? Is there an Android Phone that works great, or does he need an iPhone? Does he need the Dexcom receiver?

My G6 works fine with a samsung android, you don't have to have a receiver for a G6. You should be able to follow his results on another phone (or just a computer?) Just go to the dexcom site to see what phones they support and how to follow. There's also the clarity app which will give you trends and averages over time. But he's 7, so I'd go for the most durable/cheapest reader/phone, because you can't expect a 7 year old to be too careful with an electronic device.

Good luck. And if it's any consolation, I've been T1 for 50 years since the age of 8, with no glucometers available before I was twenty (urine test tube tests available before that) and I'm still alive and well. The dexcom is an awesome piece of kit and I'm sure it will help your son.

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
thanks - much appreciated. I think you are very right about finding a durable cheap phone:). It is good to hear from someone that is well after old fashioned treatment: My son started with old-style syringes and insulin that came to market when you were 20. I must, however, admit, that I look forward to a modern treatment...