Children of a diabetic mother,not sure what to call this

• Thread starter Deleted member 83869
  • Start Date
D

Deleted member 83869

Hi

Some of you may remember me (haven’t posted on here in a very long time). I hope everyone is well. As some of you may or may not remember I had a daughter 4 years ago. I had her 6 weeks early due to her growing too fast and my sugars being a bit high. Any how she is now being assessed for ASD and other genetic conditions...awaiting a blood test in January. She is developmentally quite behind her peers at school, and her speech is a bit delayed. She is also well above the 99.6th percentile with her height and weight despite having a relatively healthy diet. She has mild hypertelorism which is an abnormally increased distance between the eyes.
I know no one is probably really going to know the answer to this but I couldn’t sleep last night as it’s on my mind, but could her health issues be because of my diabetes and being type 1. I completely forgot about the risks from when I was pregnant and because she was okayish at birth (had respiratory distress shortly after birth and needed CPAP) she was in NICU for 2 weeks due to feeding. Like I said I know no one will probably know the answer but could me being diabetic and the high sugars even though I got my hba1c down (probably not enough) be a factor in this?

lucylocket61

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
She is also well above the 99.6th percentile with her height and weight despite having a relatively healthy diet. She
Just to address this: sounds ok to me. She is taller, so her weight is greater. I don't see the problem? Why would that be an issue or related to her healthy diet? I can understand some mild concern if she was not also taller.

AS is a genetic development difference in the brain, not connected with diabetes in pregnancy.

Reactions: HSSS
D

Deleted member 83869

Just to address this: sounds ok to me. She is taller, so her weight is greater. I don't see the problem? Why would that be an issue or related to her healthy diet? I can understand some mild concern if she was not also taller.

AS is a genetic development difference in the brain, not connected with diabetes in pregnancy.

I thought that too about the weight but google said obese, and my mind went into over drive. Thank you

lucylocket61

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I thought that too about the weight but google said obese, and my mind went into over drive. Thank you
I had this with my son when he was young, before the days of Google. He was always tall, so he was heavier than the standard charts. The penny dropped when the health visitor met my husband, who is 6' 6" tall and naturally broad built, but slim-for-him. They hadn't taken any of those factors into account with my son's build.

My daughter is very muscular and runs marathons for fun, so she is technically obese too

D

Deleted member 83869

I had this with my son when he was young, before the days of Google. He was always tall, so he was heavier than the standard charts. The penny dropped when the health visitor met my husband, who is 6' 6" tall and naturally broad built, but slim-for-him. They hadn't taken any of those factors into account with my son's build.

My daughter is very muscular and runs marathons for fun, so she is technically obese too

Thank you this makes me feel better! My partner is 6ft 5 and I’m 5’11” so her height is from us but I just worry! She does have a little belly on her but nothing drastic and she’s always been like it.

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi

Some of you may remember me (haven’t posted on here in a very long time). I hope everyone is well. As some of you may or may not remember I had a daughter 4 years ago. I had her 6 weeks early due to her growing too fast and my sugars being a bit high. Any how she is now being assessed for ASD and other genetic conditions...awaiting a blood test in January. She is developmentally quite behind her peers at school, and her speech is a bit delayed. She is also well above the 99.6th percentile with her height and weight despite having a relatively healthy diet. She has mild hypertelorism which is an abnormally increased distance between the eyes.
I know no one is probably really going to know the answer to this but I couldn’t sleep last night as it’s on my mind, but could her health issues be because of my diabetes and being type 1. I completely forgot about the risks from when I was pregnant and because she was okayish at birth (had respiratory distress shortly after birth and needed CPAP) she was in NICU for 2 weeks due to feeding. Like I said I know no one will probably know the answer but could me being diabetic and the high sugars even though I got my hba1c down (probably not enough) be a factor in this?

Nicola, I think the thing about all these charts is they're fine for a goodly proportion of the population, but I'm not at all wedded to them as absolutes. For those who are tall, or shorter (like me!), they can be a bit misleading - in my view.

I know they're a bit extreme, but if you look at any decent rugby team, then I'd wager that using those height weight measures, a very high percentage of their squad members would be in the Obese category, without any palpable fat on them.

Sometimes, we and the medics have to try to look a the bigger picture and try not to pick out a single metric to make these judgements. Sadly GP/Clinic software doesn't always do that in the first instance.

I would urge you not to look for a reason to blame yourself for any challenges it might transpire your little one faces. It is my belief parents do their best and will always put their children before themselves, in terms of health and welfare. I can remember you having your little girl and the period thereafter. You are a good, caring mother, so please try to enjoy her young life and the memories you make together, rather than torture yourself over the past which cannot be changed, and was likely not a factor anyway.

I'm sure, with your guidance, she'll grow to be a fine human being.

Bittern

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
We had the opposite weight problem with one of our daughters, the nurse/health visitor considered her underweight. When looking at the chart the nurse used we could see three lines marking the acceptable range of weights. She was below "optimal" but within range so we ignored the nurse who was only looking at the ideal. My daughter is now a slim but very healthy 30 something. My opinion is that as a society we have accepted "weight creep" over the decades so that the expected weight now is higher than it was say 40yrs ago.

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
Just worked out my grandson's BMI comes to 33 .1 and the calculator says obese He is a 25 year old 6 foot 17 stone bodybuilder who is strictly Keto with nary an pound of fat on him so the definitions of obesity do not always fit.

When he was young he was quite tubby but fit then he started losing weight for no apparent reason and became very thin we were concerned as his other grand parents were both T2 and his great grandparents on his fathers side were also diabetic one being T2 and the other T1 also in my wife's family there are several people with T1 so it was a worry but so far he has shown no signs of diabetes

Also children tend to develop at their own rate they don't necessarily follow percentiles which are just a guide well neither my son or daughter actually seemed to fall near the so called optimal percentile but did OK in the long run.