Children with Type 1 and Covid

jezphil

Type of diabetes
Parent
Treatment type
Insulin
Hard to tell whether kids with type-1 are in more danger from Covid-19 than other children. But stories in today’s papers clearly state figure showing people generally with diabetes are at higher risk. Children mostly seem to be Teflon-coated when it comes to coronavirus. But it would be good to have a scientific analysis of how this is affected by type-1. Our 9 year old daughter was diagnosed with type-1 three weeks ago. We are still going through the anxiety and emotional turmoil of the early days, although she is dealing with it amazingly well.

Pipp

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hard to tell whether kids with type-1 are in more danger from Covid-19 than other children. But stories in today’s papers clearly state figure showing people generally with diabetes are at higher risk. Children mostly seem to be Teflon-coated when it comes to coronavirus. But it would be good to have a scientific analysis of how this is affected by type-1. Our 9 year old daughter was diagnosed with type-1 three weeks ago. We are still going through the anxiety and emotional turmoil of the early days, although she is dealing with it amazingly well.
Hello, @jezphil.

Sorry you seem to have been waiting a long time for reply. It must be a worrying time for you.
As an ancient T2 woman, I am afraid I am not able to be of much assistance, but will tag some members who will, perhaps call in the more knowledgeable T1 members.
Best wishes.

@Jaylee , @Juicyj , @Diakat

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi @jezphil ,

Welcome to the forum.

Wow, well..? Most kids do kind of adapt pretty well to the new "normal."
It does appear by the stats that Ds of all types are featuring in the higher age range. & there are plenty of topics discussing this on the forum as you would understand.
There are a fair few experts with years experience in the field that can't quite agree whilst trying to look like they concur on the stratagem of wearing masks.

I feel at this time your daughter is newly diagnosed with (hopefully.) just the challenge of acclimatising to her new regime.

You may find this topic interesting? Started by one of our members regarding the stats thrown out in the news.
https://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/threads/covid-coronavirus-and-diabetes-the-numbers.174274/

jezphil

Type of diabetes
Parent
Treatment type
Insulin
Hello, @jezphil.

Sorry you seem to have been waiting a long time for reply. It must be a worrying time for you.
As an ancient T2 woman, I am afraid I am not able to be of much assistance, but will tag some members who will, perhaps call in the more knowledgeable T1 members.
Best wishes.

@Jaylee , @Juicyj , @Diakat
Many thanks for your reply - much appreciated

Reactions: Pipp