Chocolate.....to buy or not to buy????????

osbornet

I suppose its one of those questions that has no set answer, people are different and, if diabetic, react to chocolate intake differently.

When I was diagnosed diabetic the diabetic nurse told me to keep well clear of 'diabetic chocolate', she said it was full of fat. She told me that if I fancied some chocolate (or cake etc ) to have some! Just don't go mad on it.

So thats exactly what I do, if I fancy a Mars Bar or something similar, I have one. I just don't have 2 or 3 bars of chocolate a day like I used to (along with cake, biscuits, pudding etc). I suppose I spike afterwards (I don't test my own glucose levels) but when I have my regular 3 monthly blood test the levels are very constant. Maybe I'm just lucky.

chocoholicnomore

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Grazer said:
Wondered when you'd be on here Choco! That chocolate nose letting you down?

Yes Grazer, I'm beginning to get worried about myself :lol: Missing a chocolate thread. Now I would never have done that a few months ago.

oakdaledave

Ann19 said:
noblehead said:
Aldi do a dark chocolate with 85% coco and is truly delicious, I've not bought it for a while but it was around 90p-£1 for 5 individually wrapped bars.

I went to Aldi yesterday and bought a pack of these chocolate bars called 'Moser Roth' 85% and they are lovely. 99p for 5 nice sise bars!

Sarah69

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Anything healthy!
I wouldn't be able to live without chocolate. I eat milk chocolate I can't bear dark chocolate it's far too bitter!

chocoholicnomore

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Sarah, some dark chocolate tastes nicer than others. You need to try a few. My favourite chocolate is galaxy but it's off limits now, although I do treat myself to the odd one now and again! The Moser Roth is good for the regular daily fix!!

desidiabulum

Lindt chilli chocolate is heaven, and a square is allowable now and then as a reward. It's best with a glass of port, of course, but one can't have everything....

Grazer

Sarah69 said:
I wouldn't be able to live without chocolate. I eat milk chocolate I can't bear dark chocolate it's far too bitter!

No criticism Sarah, but as you use insulin you can adjust for milk chocolate more than most of the posters on this thread can who are on diet only or metformin. Having said that, I have a milk choc fix in VERY small portions now and again. :thumbup:

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
oakdaledave said:
Ann19 said:
noblehead said:
Aldi do a dark chocolate with 85% coco and is truly delicious, I've not bought it for a while but it was around 90p-£1 for 5 individually wrapped bars.

I went to Aldi yesterday and bought a pack of these chocolate bars called 'Moser Roth' 85% and they are lovely. 99p for 5 nice sise bars!

Nice one! :)

adrian29459

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I would also advise you to stay away from diabetic/no added sugar chocolate, just based on my own experiences.
I have a fair amount of fibre in my diet, I have cereals, shreddies, bran flakes etc and fruit like apples & bananas and haven't had problems. Everytime I've had sugar free chocolate I've had multiple visits to the toilet and a sore tummy.
If you really want to try some diabetic chocolate and test your bowels, I'd suggest getting some small bars, boots do a good range.

Etty

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Anyone else suffer from choco-creep? I have one square a day, which somehow turns into 2, then 3, until I get a grip and reset my choco tolerance by returning to zero squares for awhile. Then I start again!
This seems to be the best I can do, and is only possible because of high cocoa solid chocolate. I wouldn't have a hope with milk chocolate. I'd be up to 3 bars in no time.

catza

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I would be the same as you Etty if the chocolate was in an edible condition.

The only way I have found to curb my wayward hand which seems to put chocolate in my unsuspecting mouth without my knowledge is to break my bars up into single squares, wrap each piece up in foil and then freeze them.

I love 85% chocolate and boy are those squares rock hard when they come out of the freezer, I usually take one piece out of the freezer at supper time and it thaws out by mid evening. If I try to snaffle an extra piece straight from the freezer it takes so long to nibble it that I usually come to my senses and tell my hand off for being greedy. :D

chocoholicnomore

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Errr, I know what you mean Etty. I had 1 choc digestive last night which turned into 1/2 packet! :oops:
I thought I could stop at one! Who am I kidding ?

Paul1976

Dislikes
The puzzle that is Asperger syndrome that I still can't fit together.
I couldn't stop at just one either! too darn' moreish! I've had to say 'Adios' to them completely. :(

chocoholicnomore

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Think I'll need to as well Paul. Trouble is they are so hard to resist...especially when they are on special offer!!

Etty

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Catza, and excellent suggestion, thanks! I'm on Zero setting now, but when I start again at one, I'll try it. I'm not entirely sure I won't manage to eat a piece of frozen chocolate, but we'll see.
Chocoholicnomore, you will have to change your name. I'm afraid it's a lifetime condition for us hard cases.

Smarner

Discpvered boots diabetic/ no added sugar chocolate (fruit & nut 100g) at the weekend. As I'm partial to a bit of chocolate and doesn't bump sugars up too much thought why not? Only had a quick glimps at the label as didn't have glasses with me 1/3 amount of sugar as normal choc oh goody me thinks.
It went like this walked out of shop thought have a couple of squares mm not bad. Driving home stuck at lights couple of squares. Got home be naughty couple of squares haven't been sat around all morning. Had nice low carb/gi lunch. I know have some choc for pudding ioops finished bar!

Well better go wash the car burn the carbs off thought I! Half hour later all done, feeling good as done a bit more exercise can watch rugby now!

Sat down to watch the rugby had felt a stirring in the stomach earlier thought nothing of it. The next 2-3 hours were spent running to the loo every 15 minutes and producing enough gas to power half the country lol!

Had a closer look at the packet with glasses on and I see small warning at the bottom - Excessive consumption may cause laxative effect!

On doing a bit of research it turns out that in small quantities lacticol is good for the gut - probiotic - but not the amount in a 100g bar!

Good news - sugars were nice and low and the chocolate was quite nice! Be warned!

Reactions: 2 people

nobbypan

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Having diabetes
I was very young once eat bars of the stuff what mums and friends had brought in my locker next few days locked in bathroom not had any since 36 years

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

Carol-P

I decided that if I started eating chocolate then I would not be able to leave it alone! I really needed to do that, so from that day I was told I was Diabetic I determined I was not going to have any, except perhaps for an odd little bit if we were out eating! I had one small flake when we were having a meal for my birthday, but that is really all I have had. I know I could not resist it if I allowed myself bits here and bits there. It's what works for me that counts, isn't it, and the same for everyone else!

nobbypan

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Having diabetes
Don't get it were told to eat won't we what chic cake jam black forest g but don't eat Mars bars when having a hypo