Chocolates

Dennis

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
Dislikes
People who join web forums to be agressive and cause trouble
This Xmas I received a lovely present of a box of chocolates. They are made by Hotel Chocolat and I have to rate them amongst the tastiest chocolates I have ever tried. Rather expensive, but wow!!

The manufacturer requested advice from Diabetes UK before producing them and they contain no sugar substitutes, just less sugar - around half the 'normal' sugar found in modern chocolates. But they are so smooth and don't taste at all bitter. Highly recommended. Here's a link
http://www.hotelchocolat.co.uk/cid/VYRQ ... ate-P1675/

sugarless sue

Master
Dislikes
Rude people! Not being able to do the things I want to do.
Must you post things like this ,Dennis!!:):):(:(I'm still trying to get over Christmas chocs..

Knowledge is the key to control

Linda59

I have to agree with Dennis the Hotel chocolat is good, in small doses :twisted: my daughter had some for Christmas and I had a taste, but Helen the diabetic choc, be very wary of (couple of squares at a time), I was bought some last Christmas and it didn't agree with me the same person again bought some this year but I'm afraid it will probably end up in the bin! I will have to try and let her know for next year...:(

regards

Linda

sugarless sue

Master
Dislikes
Must admit I like the Square One Bistro Belgium chocs.Not so expensive as the others.

Dennis

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Dislikes
Hi all you fellow chocaholics,

One thing you need to bear in mind with almost all diabetic chocolates is that instead of sugar they substitute maltitol (Square One), sorbitol or xylitol (nearly all other brands - not sure about Thorntons as they don't state what they use as a substitute).

The point is that all these sugar substitutes convert to glucose in exactly the same way as sugar does and are only fractionally less potent than sugar. That is why I mentioned the Hotel Chocolat range - they use only half the sugar - in other words they contain half the sugar that so-called diabetic chocolates contain. Not to mention that sorbitol, xylitol and maltitol are extremely powerful laxatives, as Linda found out.

I'm not suggesting that you shouldn't try the others if you want to. Just remember not to stray too far from a toilet . . . . ;)

martinbuchan

My wife is off to Brussels in a fortnight. She will be visiting Neuhaus chocolate shop next to the hotel. Use to be one in Kingston where we used to live. They have sugar free chocs on their website. In the interests of my fellow diabetics I will force myself to try a sample for you all and report back.

Marty B

sugarless sue

Master
Dislikes
<<<<<drool>>>>>>>Now if someone could find a way of sending chocs through cyberspace.................

Tormod

Not sure about all this stuff on sugar-free sweets - the laxative effect puts me off - and not convinced that reduced sugar chocs at that price make any real difference.

Would be interested in advice and opinion of everyone - what I have done is to stop snacking between meals altogether (which has to be good) - but if I want chocolate / biscuit / crisps, I have it as part of my dessert. And I do - probably 4 or 5 times a week

Don't know whether I am fooling myself or not :?:

Dennis

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Dislikes
Marty,

That's really brave of you to look after our interests like that.
Its a tough job but someone's got to do it.

ThinType2

Hi

I'm with Tormod and if I fancy a treat I will have a small dessert or a small amount of chocolate after meals only (as my diabetic nurse advised me)

I was advised by my hospital that diabetic chocolate was a waste of money but I have to say that I was given a box of Thorntons chocolates over Christmas and they were great!!! I could have 2-3 after my meal and my readings were reasonable. I would not recommend having them all year around but for a Christmas treat definately worth a go.

sugarless sue

Master
Dislikes
Moderation is the key,although I like choc.(never have guessed it really,would you!:))I try and keep away from it.The christmas chocs were eaten after meals and so is anything else that might raise BS.

ChocFish

Oh Dennis, I have sucspambed, hotel chocolat are serious good chocolates, they arrived in the post this morning, I was going to limit myself to 3 per day...then I started arguing with myself and I had a fourth...

I got the steps out, not sure all the stepping did any good, I ought to climb Everest to make good the damage, when do I ever learn...

Dennis

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Dislikes
Oh Karen, this isn't like you at all. You are the one with the iron will that has inspired us so much in the past and continues to do so with your witty and always appropriate advice. If I've led you astray then I am really, really sorry. My post was aimed at those who just can't resist chocolate so that at least they could try something with less after-effects.

Now I wonder what you would say to someone who has just owned up to overindulging on chocs, even when they are particularly tempting ones?

martinbuchan

I am glad to say that after much research, chocolate has a very low glycaemic index for me. My BS doesn't really rise at all. Agree with most that diabetic chocolates are a waste of time and have a wee treat after meals.

Will report back if my wife gets her hands on the Neuhaus stuff.

Marty B

hails

I never had a problem eating normal chocolates, I have eaten the same as I did before everything in moderation. Chocolates do not effect my levels much more than a jacket potato.

I am a pancreas... I have to so it manually so I can eat as I did before.

:)

Dennis

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Dislikes
Hi Sarah,

Thanks but no thanks. They are sweetened with maltitol which is
a) pretty much the same carb content as pure sugar, and
b) one of the fastest-acting laxatives known to man!

martinbuchan

Neuhaus sugar free arrive in 2 hours and counting- straight from my mule from brussels. Will post later when I feel sick from gorging myself.

Marty B