Cholesterol is high and been told to take statins

xkayzx

Hi all , I had my annual check today and GP wants me to start taking statins as my cholesterol is 6.5, does any one else take theses... I’m type 1 diabetic

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
Your Total Cholesterol number is pretty meaningless, it is the breakdown you need so as to guide your decision on whether or not to accept statin treatment.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
What was the breakdown of your cholesterol? HDL, LDL, and triglycerides? The total of 6.5 is just that, a total of the good and the bad. Unless you know how high your good bits are and how low your bad bits are, the total is meaningless .... and your doctor should know this. They are not supposed to determine that your cholesterol is high just by the total amount.

There are countless threads on here about cholesterol and statins if you use the search bar. One word of advice - they can and do raise blood sugar levels.

xkayzx

IMG_1548872908.773527.jpg
see photo this was my results on the right hand side of the photo

K

Knikki

I take them and have for a while, there ok and seem to lower cholesterol. Saying that they are a little controversial round these parts as I am sure a quick search will yield many results.

slikwipman

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Intolerance
Hi all , I had my annual check today and GP wants me to start taking statins as my cholesterol is 6.5, does any one else take theses... I’m type 1 diabetic

Yes started on Atorvastatin after last years review and this year my cholesterol is fine, luckily I have had no side effects at all and don’t have a problem adding another tablet to the collection

markb40

Type of diabetes
Type 3c
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I found when I added a statin my levels were higher when testing, although the GP and pharmacist say they can't do that I stopped mine and the levels lowered again.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
View attachment 30960 see photo this was my results on the right hand side of the photo

This isn't a full panel. There is no LDL showing, and no triglycerides. Without those neither you nor your doctor can make an informed decision on statins. You need to ask for a full lipid panel, and make sure you fast for around 10 hours before the test - in as much as you can as a T1. If you do have to eat, can you avoid anything containing fats?

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Reactions: markb40