Cholesterol levels - advice please

SunnyExpat

Type of diabetes
Prefer not to say
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I did think about statins.
It's a difficult call.

I would have guessed with those numbers he is on them, but I would change one thing at a time, and that way you will keep his GP on board as well. Plus you won't get into a confrontation over who knows best. You need to get him on a good diet, arguing over statins, and the GP's advice can come later.
Hopefully, when he sees his numbers improve, he'll realise you do know what you're talking about.

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
@zand, get your friend to start the day with a bowl of traditional porridge, oats contain a substance called beta glucan which lowers cholesterol levels, that's how I start my day and my trigs results over the last few years have been between 0.5-0.7 which I'm told is good.

Another thing to help lower cholesterol is exercise, even if its just an hours walking a day.

Reactions: 2 people

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@zand, get your friend to start the day with a bowl of traditional porridge, oats contain a substance called beta glucan which lowers cholesterol levels, that's how I start my day and my trigs results over the last few years have been between 0.5-0.7 which I'm told is good.

Another thing to help lower cholesterol is exercise, even if its just an hours walking a day.
Thank you, I'll tell him. I didn't know that about oats containing beta glucan but I was taking a beta glucan supplement a while back and my cholesterol levels were lower afterwards, but I didn't make the connection until now.

btw @noblehead I would call your trigs figure excellent not merely good. :)

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Thank you, I'll tell him. I didn't know that about oats containing beta glucan but I was taking a beta glucan supplement a while back and my cholesterol levels were lower afterwards

That's interesting, maybe a supplement might just be as effective if he doesn't care much for porridge.

The Mediterranean Diet that DD mentions earlier is worth trying if nothing else (a Med Diet does include oats).

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
That's interesting, maybe a supplement might just be as effective if he doesn't care much for porridge.

The Mediterranean Diet that DD mentions earlier is worth trying if nothing else (a Med Diet does include oats).
Porridge would be better than supplements though....I'm hoping that's an option for him.

PenguinMum

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I have just got my 6 month results. Delighted with HBA1c of 33 (prev 37). Based on my non tech analysis of my averages I think my Codefree has been reading higher than it should but that was a nice surprise.
Could someone, maybe @Bluetit1802, comment on what my lipids mean:
Serum Chol 6.63
Serum Tryglycerides 0.58mmol/l
Serum HDL 2.64 mmol/l. (Abnormal)
Total chol ratio 2.5
Calculated LDL chol level. 3.73 (abnormal)

Also Serum Creatinine 44 mmol (abnormal). Pancreas?
Thanks in advance.

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@PenguinMum
If you look at the first page of this thread, there is a link to the calculator that will give you some answers.
Those are great trigs and HDL.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I have just got my 6 month results. Delighted with HBA1c of 33 (prev 37). Based on my non tech analysis of my averages I think my Codefree has been reading higher than it should but that was a nice surprise.
Could someone, maybe @Bluetit1802, comment on what my lipids mean:
Serum Chol 6.63
Serum Tryglycerides 0.58mmol/l
Serum HDL 2.64 mmol/l. (Abnormal)
Total chol ratio 2.5
Calculated LDL chol level. 3.73 (abnormal)

Also Serum Creatinine 44 mmol (abnormal). Pancreas?
Thanks in advance.

I do not understand why your HDL is marked abnormal! The standard range is 1.2 to 3.5. Yours is well within this. Mine is 2.6 and is ideal. So is yours! Nothing at all wrong with your cholesterol.

I can't comment on the creatinine as mine has always been normal so I have never investigated it, but yours does seem very high. If there is a concern, your GP should be contacting you. Maybe someone else can help with this.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only

I now have to apologise. I didn't notice your creatinine was a blood test. I assumed it was a urine test. My fault.
Creatinine blood tests are part of your kidney function tests and should be somewhere between 46 and 92. So you are just a smidge low. I doubt this is of any concern, but your GP should tell you if it is. I can't help as mine is always normal.

PenguinMum

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I now have to apologise. I didn't notice your creatinine was a blood test. I assumed it was a urine test. My fault.
Creatinine blood tests are part of your kidney function tests and should be somewhere between 46 and 92. So you are just a smidge low. I doubt this is of any concern, but your GP should tell you if it is. I can't help as mine is always normal.
Thanks again @Bluetit1802 for making sense of it all. Merry Christmas. X