Cholesterol on a Low Carb Diet

fatbird

Why do some people fear fats?

A meta-analysis published in the American Journal of Clinical Nutrition, pooled together data from 21 unique studies that included almost 350,000 people, about 11,000 of whom developed cardiovascular disease (CVD), tracked for an average of 14 years, and concluded that there is no relationship between the intake of saturated fat and the incidence of heart disease or stroke.

Conclusions: A meta-analysis of prospective epidemiologic studies showed that there is no significant evidence for concluding that dietary saturated fat is associated with an increased risk of CHD or CVD.

"More data are needed to elucidate whether CVD risks are likely to be influenced by the specific nutrients used to replace saturated fat." Carbs?

http://ajcn.nutrition.org/content/early/2010/01/13/ajcn.2009.27725.abstract

FB

Reactions: 2 people

xyzzy

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Undeserving authority figures of all kinds and idiots.
It was reading about that study FB that convinced me that a reasonable amount of natural saturated fats would likely do me no harm.

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

fatbird

"The low-fat “diet–heart hypothesis” has been controversial for nearly 100 years. The low-fat–high-carbohydrate diet, promulgated vigorously by the National Cholesterol Education Program, National Institutes of Health, and American Heart Association since the Lipid Research Clinics-Primary Prevention Program in 1984, and earlier by the U.S. Department of Agriculture food pyramid, may well have played an unintended role in the current epidemics of obesity, lipid abnormalities, type II diabetes, and metabolic syndromes. This diet can no longer be defended by appeal to the authority of prestigious medical organizations or by rejecting clinical experience and a growing medical literature suggesting that the much-maligned low-carbohydrate–high-protein diet may have a salutary effect on the epidemics in question.

A balanced appraisal of the diet–heart hypothesis must recognize the unintended and unanticipated role that the LF-HCarb diet may well have played in the current epidemic of obesity, abnormal lipid patterns, type II diabetes, and the metabolic syndrome. Defense of the LF-HCarb diet, because it conforms to current traditional dietary recommendations, by appealing to the authority of its prestigious medical and institutional sponsors or by ignoring an increasingly critical medical literature, is no longer tenable."

Sylvan Weinberg, former president of the American College of Cardiology

http://content.onlinejacc.org/article.aspx?articleid=1133027

FB

douglas99

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Why do some people fear fats?

A meta-analysis published in the American Journal of Clinical Nutrition, pooled together data from 21 unique studies that included almost 350,000 people, about 11,000 of whom developed cardiovascular disease (CVD), tracked for an average of 14 years, and concluded that there is no relationship between the intake of saturated fat and the incidence of heart disease or stroke.

Conclusions: A meta-analysis of prospective epidemiologic studies showed that there is no significant evidence for concluding that dietary saturated fat is associated with an increased risk of CHD or CVD.

"More data are needed to elucidate whether CVD risks are likely to be influenced by the specific nutrients used to replace saturated fat." Carbs?

http://ajcn.nutrition.org/content/early/2010/01/13/ajcn.2009.27725.abstract

FB

Wouldn't argue with the studies you've quoted there

"The shortest way to reach nutritional goals is to adopt Mediterranean food choices: evidence from computer-generated personalized diets"

"Soy Protein Reduces Serum Cholesterol by Both Intrinsic and Food Displacement Mechanisms"

Good shout.

douglas99

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other
"The low-fat “diet–heart hypothesis” has been controversial for nearly 100 years. The low-fat–high-carbohydrate diet, promulgated vigorously by the National Cholesterol Education Program, National Institutes of Health, and American Heart Association since the Lipid Research Clinics-Primary Prevention Program in 1984, and earlier by the U.S. Department of Agriculture food pyramid, may well have played an unintended role in the current epidemics of obesity, lipid abnormalities, type II diabetes, and metabolic syndromes. This diet can no longer be defended by appeal to the authority of prestigious medical organizations or by rejecting clinical experience and a growing medical literature suggesting that the much-maligned low-carbohydrate–high-protein diet may have a salutary effect on the epidemics in question.

A balanced appraisal of the diet–heart hypothesis must recognize the unintended and unanticipated role that the LF-HCarb diet may well have played in the current epidemic of obesity, abnormal lipid patterns, type II diabetes, and the metabolic syndrome. Defense of the LF-HCarb diet, because it conforms to current traditional dietary recommendations, by appealing to the authority of its prestigious medical and institutional sponsors or by ignoring an increasingly critical medical literature, is no longer tenable."

Sylvan Weinberg, former president of the American College of Cardiology

http://content.onlinejacc.org/article.aspx?articleid=1133027

FB

"low-carbohydrate–high-protein"
Another good call, am I convincing you here?

fatbird

"I personally choose to avoid soy… even though the evidence is inconclusive, the fact that it is a relatively new food in the diet that contains endocrine disrupting compounds is reason enough for me."

Type two diabetes is an endocrine disorder-eat whole fresh foods.

""low-carbohydrate–high-protein" Another good call, am I convincing you here?"

Low carb high fat-low carb high protein. For a diabetic both infinitely better than low fat high carb.

FB

douglas99

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other
"I personally choose to avoid soy… even though the evidence is inconclusive, the fact that it is a relatively new food in the diet that contains endocrine disrupting compounds is reason enough for me."

Type two diabetes is an endocrine disorder-eat whole fresh foods.

""low-carbohydrate–high-protein" Another good call, am I convincing you here?"

Low carb high fat-low carb high protein. For a diabetic both infinitely better than low fat high carb.

FB

So a low carb high protein proves high fat is good?
And a meta analysis that quotes a study showing soya improves cvd riskd can be totally ignored, but proves high fat is good?

See the difficulty drawing the same conclusions?

Me, I prefer soya and high protein, and refer you to the studies you've quoted for the proof that they work.
(And thanks for the links, some good advice in them, you have put up a few for the benefits of low carb high protein recently)

xyzzy

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Depends on what they define high protein to mean. Protein rda is around 16% so a 30% protein diet is high. If you combine that with a 20% carb regime that leaves you a 50% ie half your intake coming from fat.

fatbird

"So a low carb high protein proves high fat is good?" I did not say that-I said.

Low carb high fat is the best way to go-low fat high protein is far better than-low fat high carb. Low fat high carb is the reason this forum has so many members. there is no such thing as an essential carb.

"There are three kinds of foods--fats, proteins, and carbohydrates. All of these provide calories. But the carbohydrates provide calories and nothing else. They have none of the essential elements to build up or to repair the tissues of the body. A man, given carbohydrates alone, however liberally, would starve to death on calories. The body must have proteins and animal fats. It has no need for carbohydrates, and, given the two essential foodstuffs, it can get all the calories it needs from them."

Sir Heneage Ogilvie, former vice president of the Royal College of Surgeons

Low carb-high fat add some protein-plenty of veg-type two in remission for most. Just read the success stories. Low carb not the only way to control type two diabetes, but the safest I believe.

FB

douglas99

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Depends on what they define high protein to mean. Protein rda is around 16% so a 30% protein diet is high. If you combine that with a 20% carb regime that leaves you a 50% ie half your intake coming from fat.

But saying as the study replaced carbs with protein, it's unlikely they replaced carbs with fats.

from the report "saturated fats, which represent the smallest proportion of calories by the USDA food pyramid", and indeed they state a figure of 33% as a previous high, so I assume they mean low carb high protein, not low carb high fat when they do a low carb high protein diet.

douglas99

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other
"So a low carb high protein proves high fat is good?" I did not say that-I said.

Low carb high fat is the best way to go-low fat high protein is far better than-low fat high carb. Low fat high carb is the reason this forum has so many members. there is no such thing as an essential carb.

"There are three kinds of foods--fats, proteins, and carbohydrates. All of these provide calories. But the carbohydrates provide calories and nothing else. They have none of the essential elements to build up or to repair the tissues of the body. A man, given carbohydrates alone, however liberally, would starve to death on calories. The body must have proteins and animal fats. It has no need for carbohydrates, and, given the two essential foodstuffs, it can get all the calories it needs from them."

Sir Heneage Ogilvie, former vice president of the Royal College of Surgeons

Low carb-high fat add some protein-plenty of veg-type two in remission for most. Just read the success stories. Low carb not the only way to control type two diabetes, but the safest I believe.

FB

Not a bad quote, but don't forget from the report he wrote that foreword to

"Exercise has a definite place in the Eat-Fat-Grow-Slim regime."

"eat fat and protein in the palatable proportion of one to three."

High protein seems to be the way to go, again, good call.

http://doczine.com/bigdata/2/1367179203_9e0b9b3b62/eat_fat.pdf

fatbird

douglas you can say "High protein seems to be the way to go, again, good call." till you are blue in the face. It is not what I have said. One more time low carb high fat is best. Protein raises blood glucose-up to fifty percent can turned into BG raising glucose. Dietary fat does not raise BG. Many people cannot tolerate a high protein diet-there are limits to what most people want to eat. For the kidney impaired which many diabetics are-high protein diets should be avoided.

FB

douglas99

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other
douglas you can say "High protein seems to be the way to go, again, good call." till you are blue in the face. It is not what I have said. One more time low carb high fat is best. Protein raises blood glucose-up to fifty percent can turned into BG raising glucose. Dietary fat does not raise BG. Many people cannot tolerate a high protein diet-there are limits to what most people want to eat. For the kidney impaired which many diabetics are-high protein diets should be avoided.

FB

Stop quoting high protein studies if you clearly don't believe they are the way to go?

fatbird

"Stop quoting high protein studies if you clearly don't believe they are the way to go?"

The first study was to show saturated fats were not the cause of CVD. The second study stated among other things-a low fat high carb diet was not best for a number of reasons. May I suggest respectfully it is you who is fixated on a high protein diet. Again I say low carb high fat is optimal for a type two diabetic. Again I say it is not the only way to control type diabetes-but is by far the safest way.

FB

douglas99

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other
"Stop quoting high protein studies if you clearly don't believe they are the way to go?"

The first study was to show saturated fats were not the cause of CVD. The second study stated among other things-a low fat high carb diet was not best for a number of reasons. May I suggest respectfully it is you who is fixated on a high protein diet. Again I say low carb high fat is optimal for a type two diabetic. Again I say it is not the only way to control type diabetes-but is by far the safest way.

FB

This is a thread about cholesterol while low carbing.

You brought in the studies that showed Soy Protein Reduces Serum Cholesterol, and The shortest way to reach nutritional goals is to adopt Mediterranean food choices.
You then referred to a low carb high protein study.

All valid to this thread, all low carb diets, but not relevant to any high fat diet.

Well worth including as a low carb diet, and certainly worth more discussion surely.
Particularly as the soya study is specific to reducing cholesterol, which is the title of this thread.

fatbird

"All valid to this thread, all low carb diets, but not relevant to any high fat diet."

The point has been made by other members on this thread-a high fat-low carb diet improves cholesterol numbers. Higher HDL lower trigs is the norm. Carbohydrates and insulin drive up trigs and lower HDL. LDL stays about the same once the diet has been adhered to after about three months for most.

FB

xyzzy

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
High protein seems to be the way to go, again, good call.

If you think so then go for it but I suggest you research it well as there are far less studies done on the long term safety of lchp regimes than lchf. The medical establishment position is that too much protein can cause kidney damage bit like I say it's your body and your risk what you do with it.

From memory there was an early 20th century study of one guy who ate nothing but meat for a year. Phoenix might remember it as its been discussed on here before.

Also remember that high protein will produce a rise in bgs. T1s have to account for the protein in their insulin regimes the less carbs they eat.

Read up about Insulin Index which is like GI but gives you insulin responses across all food types not just carbs.

douglas99

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other
If you think so then go for it but I suggest you research it well as there are far less studies done on the long term safety of lchp regimes than lchf. The medical establishment position is that too much protein can cause kidney damage bit like I say it's your body and your risk what you do with it.

From memory there was an early 20th century study of one guy who ate nothing but meat for a year. Phoenix might remember it as its been discussed on here before.

Also remember that high protein will produce a rise in bgs. T1s have to account for the protein in their insulin regimes the less carbs they eat.

Read up about Insulin Index which is like GI but gives you insulin responses across all food types not just carbs.

Stefansson

was quoted in thread for the benefits of a low carb diet as proof when discussing high fat, not high protein again.

http://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/threads/huge-conflict-with-dietician.43013/page-5