1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2021 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Guest, stay home, stay safe, save the NHS. Stay up to date with information about keeping yourself and people around you safe here and GOV.UK: Coronavirus (COVID-19). Think you have symptoms? NHS 111 service is available here.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Cholesterol results interpretation please

Discussion in 'Ask A Question' started by MrsA2, Feb 25, 2021.

1. MrsA2

MrsA2 Type 2 · Well-Known Member

got these today. Several marked as abnormal that weren't before. What does it mean?
    Serum cholesterol 7.8
    Triglycerides 1.2
    HDL 2.07
    LDL 5.2
    Ch/hdl ratio 3.77

Annoyingly my hba1c is not yet on my medical record. I hope they did it after waiting a year!
    Have appt with dn on Monday

2. Goonergal

Goonergal Type 2 · Moderator
    Staff Member

Hi there

You might want to put your figures through this calculator: https://www.hughcalc.org/chol-si.php

The 2 things I look for are the triglycerides and the triglyceride / HDL ratio (seen as the key marker). Your trigs are normal according to the calculator and the trig/HDL ratio ‘ideal’ at 0.575.

Hope you get the HbA1c result!

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  3. MrsA2

MrsA2 Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Thanks @Goonergal

It is reassuring that my ratios are good, but what about the high levels? Everywhere I look says very high risk LDLs

4. Goonergal

Goonergal Type 2 · Moderator
    Staff Member

Personally I’m not worried by LDL but then my trigs are low and my trigs/HDL ratio is very low (0.3). I’m also not worried about the total figure as it’s pretty meaningless on its own. As my trigs have decreased and my ratio improved, the total number and LDL have gone up.

Zoe Harcombe explains this here: https://www.zoeharcombe.com/the-knowledge/we-have-got-cholesterol-completely-wrong/

You’ve recently been losing weight and that can impact on cholesterol levels - certainly did with mine. My LDL in 2017 (don’t have a diagnosis figure) was 3.8. This went up to 4.6 at the peak of my weight loss. Earlier this month it was 4.1 with ratios much improved.

In the end it comes down to your own research and what you’re comfortable with.

I expect you’re already familiar with this thread - https://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/threads/cholesterol-and-statins.156985/ - but it’s a very good starting point.

• Informative Informative x 3
    • Winner Winner x 1
  5. LittleGreyCat

LittleGreyCat Type 2 · Well-Known Member

This is the ratio that I look at.
    Anything less than 4 is supposedly good.

I have run relatively high cholesterol numbers for years but my surgery agrees that this is fine as my ratios are good.

Helps that I am "normal" weight and my BP is also good.

There are arguments (@Goonergal has probably linked to them) which say that higher cholesterol is a good thing as you get older, especially for women.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  • Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook