Cholesterol Results - Reduced Carb

KMPMBA

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi,

After 3 months of reducing carbs (moderate carb) and adding fats (not high fat), I have seen that my Total Cholesterol and LDL has gone up slightky, should the numbers below be if any concern?

And yes HBa1c down from 54 to 40

Total Cholesterol. 5.32 / 205.9
Triglycerides 1.03 / 91.6
High-density lipoprotein 1.10 / 42.7
Low-density lipoprotein 3.75 / 144.9
VLDL 0.47 / 18.3

Thanks

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
May I ask about your 'moderate carb, not high fat' amounts, please?

Carbs affect the Triglyceride level which ideally should be somewhat lower than the HDL level (these two figures and the ratio between them are the numbers to be looking at, total cholesterol is meaningless otherwise).

LCHF should (after an initial period) improve your HDL to Triglyceride ratio.

Reactions: Freema

librarising

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi,

After 3 months of reducing carbs (moderate carb) and adding fats (not high fat), I have seen that my Total Cholesterol and LDL has gone up slightky, should the numbers below be if any concern?

And yes HBa1c down from 54 to 40

Total Cholesterol. 5.32 / 205.9
Triglycerides 1.03 / 91.6
High-density lipoprotein 1.10 / 42.7
Low-density lipoprotein 3.75 / 144.9
VLDL 0.47 / 18.3

Thanks
My June results were

TC 5.2
Trigs 1.1
HDL 1.1
LDL 3.6

so somewhat similar. The only thing I worry about is the trigs/HDL ratio, which in my case is 1, and in yours 0.94, which is even better. A ratio of 1 or better is fine. This is your best indication of heart risk
https://profgrant.com/2016/12/01/the-importance-of-the-fasting-tghdl-ratio/
https://www.docsopinion.com/2014/07/17/triglyceride-hdl-ratio/
Since these two articles use non-UK measurements, the ranges quoted need to be roughly halved i.e. for 2-4 read 1-2.
Geoff

KMPMBA

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
May I ask about your 'moderate carb, not high fat' amounts, please?

Carbs affect the Triglyceride level which ideally should be somewhat lower than the HDL level (these two figures and the ratio between them are the numbers to be looking at, total cholesterol is meaningless otherwise).

LCHF should (after an initial period) improve your HDL to Triglyceride ratio.

I really do not count my carbs but I am off bread, rice, sugar, potatoes etc. I go with veggies, meat, chicken, eggs in my meals. I have added cheese and cream to my diet, earlier I used to be scared to cholesterol going higher (typical).

My Trigs and HDL has certainly improved marginally ccompared to last year's test. Previously (last 6 years or so) my Trigs always used to be marginally higher than HDL.

Also this is the lowest Trig number I have seen since 2006.

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I really do not count my carbs but I am off bread, rice, sugar, potatoes etc. I go with veggies, meat, chicken, eggs in my meals. I have added cheese and cream to my diet, earlier I used to be scared to cholesterol going higher (typical).

My Trigs and HDL has certainly improved marginally ccompared to last year's test. Previously (last 6 years or so) my Trigs always used to be marginally higher than HDL.

Also this is the lowest Trig number I have seen since 2006.
Thats the norm when cutting carbs.