Cholesterol

cswlj

Hi everyone. First time on the website and first time in a chat room.
Bit of history first - I am 46 year-old female who has had diabetes for 33 years. Fairly slim and fit and I eat pretty healthly, although I am prone to a couple of pints of Stella and an Indian meal on weekends - I like to live as well as being a diabetic!
Just been for my latest check-up and for the first time they are saying that my cholesterol is too high at 5.2 and they want me to take statins. My cholesterol has always been at this level and being an old-fashioned diabetic of not eating sweets, cakes, biscuits etc, there is not a lot I can do about changing my cholesterol level by diet alone. Bit reluctant to start taking tablets for the rest of my live - what do people think? Is 5.2 really that bad?
Thanks a lot.

IanD

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Carbohydrates
I started at 7.6 & reduced it to 5.0 by diet. The Dr tried to reduce it below 4 with statins. I reacted badly to statins - intense muscle pain. I am now steady on around 5.0 by diet.

This level of control is achieved by Flora Proactive, oat bran & a low fat/sugar/salt diet, & an active lifestyle. If you aren't using the special margarines, they will soon get you below 5 (15% reduction is typical.)

Dennis

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
Dislikes
People who join web forums to be agressive and cause trouble
Hi cswlj and welcome to the forum. A cholesterol level of below 5.2 is regarded as low risk for heart disease, so 5.2 is the bottom rung of the next step, which is borderline high risk. If you weren't diabetic then 5.2 would be regarded as a safe enough level, but as diabetes gives a higher than average risk, the medics prefer diabetics to maintain a much lower level at around 4.0.

There are dietary alternatives to statins, so there is much that we can do to help ourselves. Almonds are reckoned to have the same cholesterol lowering effect as a statin, as are hazelnuts. Also a daily dose of omega-3 and omega-6 oil or capsules will reduce triglycerides and LDL (the "bad" cholesterol) and increase HDL (the "good" cholesterol). Eye-Q is a good branded one but chemists like Boots also sell their own brand versions.

Fizzy

Dislikes
I dislike nasty people!
Hi there,

I managed to get mine from 5.2 down to 2.4 just by eating salads in the day rather than stodge.. sanwiches...wraps etc. They say they like diabetes to be below 4. Exercise obviously is the key as is a better diet. Start on the flora... :)

Hayley x

sarz

hi,
i'm 16 and i got my blood tests back last week and my cholesterol was 6.6. i am taking omega 3, 6, & 9. Also oatbran mixed with porriage in the morning. Almonds are deff recomended and i jus knaw away at them. i think a few small changes can make a difference caus i'm already feelin better.

Sarah

cswlj

Thanks a lot for your comments. I am eating an almond as I am writing this!
I will definitely start using the flora - although I only use it on two slices of toast a day.
Due for my next blood test next wednesday so will let you know if it has reduced.
My other weaknesses were crisps and mayonnaise (not together!), so I suppose they will have to go, hopefully along with a few pounds so that my bikini looks good on holiday in 5 weeks.

bluebird

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Dislikes
Grumpy folks and taking tablets
I have found benecol drink works to lower cholesterol by a small amount but it is rather expensive.

Regards Val