cholestorol and diabetes

douglas99

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Actually, it does seem to be a thing - in some circles at any rate ;)

This dude is carrying out some very interesting n=1 experiments and other people are adding their own results: http://cholesterolcode.com/

If you haven't already seen it, you might find this review of the statin evidence interesting, Geoff:
http://jcbmr.com/index.php/jcbmr/article/view/11/26

Definitely, if they can't post up their results, how can anyone actually believe what they're selling? Dave at least has the courage to publish, warts and all. Good link.

douglas99

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other
I would be interesting to see any results from the past six years for him.
When I was refining my figures, I was getting tested every three to six months by my GP, although now I have it sorted it is once a year to check I'm still on track.

But at least we are seeing a few figures out there.

Missbiss21

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Sorry if some of this has been covered but I went to see my GP last week (unrelated to my diabetes and cholesterol) however came away with my GP telling me I should be going on statins. Now my cholesterol is 4.9 (within the guidelines) but apparently too high for someone with type 1. I have managed to get my cholesterol down from 5.9 without any real intervention apart from stopping the LCHF diet (not for me apparaently! worse HbA1C of my life). But at 26 and someone who goes to the gym 5-6 times a week and generally watches what I eat, I feel like statins are rather extreme. I would rather not be on any other medication. The whole experience made me feel a bit flat:(

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
@Missbiss21 , you could ask for a second opinion from another Dr as your cholesterol isn't too high at 4.9 , alternatively as you've reduced your cholesterol from 5.9 - 4.9 through diet and exercise ask for more time to get it lower.

I had a health scare a few years back and a hospital consultant wanted me to start on a statin, however after speaking with my Dr he didn't think it was advisable, reason being I'd always had good cholesterol levels, ate healthy and kept reasonably fit, so don't despair and do ask if both options could be considered. Good luck.

zbluebirdz

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Sorry if some of this has been covered but I went to see my GP last week (unrelated to my diabetes and cholesterol) however came away with my GP telling me I should be going on statins. Now my cholesterol is 4.9 (within the guidelines) but apparently too high for someone with type 1. I have managed to get my cholesterol down from 5.9 without any real intervention apart from stopping the LCHF diet (not for me apparaently! worse HbA1C of my life). But at 26 and someone who goes to the gym 5-6 times a week and generally watches what I eat, I feel like statins are rather extreme. I would rather not be on any other medication. The whole experience made me feel a bit flat:(

Ask for a breakdown of the cholesterol figures - trigs/hdl/ldl/etc. Then the various ratios can be checked.

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
Also... do have a thought or two towards your family history.....
If you have any relatives that have had heart probs or strokes under 50 yrs old it could be indicating that something "could" be considered.

However, I was also told about the age of 30 to have ramipril ... because at the time a lot of diabetics for some reason were being advised to have it. I never took it. 24 years on, absolutely no indication of needing it.. in fact the opposite my blood pressure is often too low..

You are right to question, only you know your family history, but it is a consideration.

I'm actually a loather of statins as they crucify me but got to advise you of all factors that should perhaps be given a thought..