Choosing a pump

alexandra98

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hello!

I am four years T1 diabetic and have just been offered a pump. I currently use a freestyle libre CGM, which I love because it's small, only has to be replaced every 14 days and doesn't require calibration. I've been offered the mylife ypsomed pump or the Medtronic 780G. I know the 780G is closed loop and can adjust insulin depending on BGs, however it seems quite intimidating to me and I'm reluctant to change CGM as I've heard bad things about the sensor that goes with the 780G. The ypsomed appeals to me because it's smaller, lighter and has a rotating tube, however, it is a very basic pump and once I get it I wont be able to change for 4 years.

Apparently the sensor that goes with the 780G isn't yet available in my country so for the first while I will have to calibrate the pump three times a day and continue with my libre. I don't know if this means it wont be closed loop until I get the sensor or not.

I feel like my priorities are having an easy and not too obtrusive pump such as the ypsomed but I feel like I would be giving up a great opportunity by not taking the 780G even if I have to calibrate it and then change CGM.

If anyone has any opinions, advice or experience from either of these pumps I would love to hear it!!

Thank you :)

Reactions: Charlieann94

In Response

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I have no experience of either pump but I have been pumping for 6 years and on my second pump. Neither pump has been closed loop.

Only you knows what is most important to you.

But one thought I have had about closed loop is that there are more parts that could fail. I am not saying it will fail often but, when it does it will not be at a convenient time and it may be stressful. I am glad I was injecting for 12 years. It has meant when my pump fails, it is second nature to go back to injecting.
Likewise closed loop, the looping may fail so I would need to revert to manual/open loop with ease. Four years of doing this would give me confidence for my next pump.
Four years seems a long time but it easily took me a year to get used to the change from MDI to pumping. Six years has gone quickly.

Clearly, this is just my opinion and maybe influenced by not having a closed loop.

himtoo

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
mean people , gardening , dishonest people , and war.
why can't everyone get on........
maybe just wait a bit longer .... the tech world is moving quite rapidly and you will have the t1d for a long time -- so perhaps waiting another year or so to see what unfolds might suit you in the long run ( i have been type 1 for 49 years so have seen most changes ..i switched to omnipod just over 6 years ago --- not looping though )