Christmas meal out

aqualung

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I am due to go out for a Christmas meal mid December. Having been diagnosed with prediabetes (although my BS levels are from 3 months ago) I am taking this as a wake up call to get my diet and exercise on track. I haven't yet seen the nurse, just the GP. Am I being overdramatic in not going for the meal? I feel I have 3 months, which is when I go back to see the GP, to try and lower my BS and a big meal like that would undo all the good I had done. What does everyone else think?

Andy12345

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Doctors
go for the meal, one meal wont make the difference, you are doing great with your efforts, dont miss out on special occasions, there are nearly always healthier options available where are you eating? or just have a sensible portion

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

aqualung

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
thanks Andy. I suppose I am a bit freaked out but also know that I have a chance to put it right. husband is looking at cross trainers/exercise bikes so my exercise regime will be well underway by then

Andy12345

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Doctors
thats excellent! i wished id had the wake up call before it was too late, if i could turn back the clock i would be doing the same as you, although my horse has bolted im still doing my best :)

best of luck

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

SandieB

I would say....go out and enjoy yourself. If you can choose your menu in advance, as is often the case with these sort of "dos" then make a sensible choice for your starter, nothing too bad for the main if it's turkey and veggies, as long as you don't eat too many roasties! Avoid the cranberry sauce and stuffing perhaps. Cheese board for dessert? Easy on the crackers!
You'll be fine...have a great time!

aqualung

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
thank you andy and sandie. sandie maybe the bluberry creme brulee I have chosen is not such a good idea!! oh well just a little bit...or I might choose a different option.