Christmas Over Indulgence

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I do regret having had to reduce the level of fibre in my diet in order to reduce the carbs. I try to take Maxicol regularly, but now I can't sprinkle it on my porridge I am struggling to find an acceptable way to consume it.
I sprinkle a tablespoon of Chia seed on my salad and once picked up a tip from these pages of mixing 50-100 gms raspberries (frozen give more juice) with 1 to 2 tablespoons of flaxseed with double cream and a 10 cal jelly is a good option.Make sure to grind the flaxseed if not ready milled. I also read that adding salt to the diet helped. I have added 1 teaspoon to a pint of water with success and also find Knorr stock concentrate has the same effect. Also seems for me that walking up hills through quagmires has the desired effect! (Just need to find a convenient secluded wood/hedgerow and ensure I have plenty of dog poo bags) Psyllium husks are also very effective but need small doses and strong flavours with them.

Reactions: Sue192

Sue192

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I do regret having had to reduce the level of fibre in my diet in order to reduce the carbs. I try to take Maxicol regularly, but now I can't sprinkle it on my porridge I am struggling to find an acceptable way to consume it.
I found this recipe helped a great deal with 'bunged-uppedness' when first starting LCHF. My sympathies - it's a miserable thing. It was given to me by a DN nurse from another practice but I can't find the source online - the only clue is the page has The Banting Toolkit at the bottom (might be from the Real Meal Revolution book?). There are loads of nutty crackers recipes out there but this I found the nicest and also the firmest (great for cheese!):

100g sunflower seeds
100g pumpkin seeds
60g flaxseeds (or chia seeds - I use those as it seems to make the cracker mix stick together better)
100g sesame seeds
3tbs psyllium husks
400ml water
salt to taste, or other seasonings

Preheat oven to 150c/Gas 2. (Make sure fan is on, it says - I tend to stick oven on 140c)
Mix together all ingredients and leave to stand until thick and pliable, about 10-15 mins
Spread mixture out as thinly as possible (rather therapeutic!) on baking tray (might need two) lined with silicone or parchment paper. Make sure mix has no holes
Bake for an hour, checking frequently and turning if oven has hotspots. (I find I don't need to check very often if oven is on 140c)
Takes about 1hr20mins to cook. Once lightly browned remove from oven and leave to cool. (I have done 1hr30mins and they've been fine)
Once cool, break into required size and store in airtight container. (They keep well, if I manage to not scoff the lot!)

Yummy with pate, cheese etc. I'm sorry, the recipe doesn't give nutrition info but other cracker recipes do.

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
There are loads of nutty crackers recipes out there but this I found the nicest and also the firmest (great for cheese!):
Yummy with pate, cheese etc. I'm sorry, the recipe doesn't give nutrition info but other cracker recipes do.
Sue192. that is a really good recipe. Looking at the ingredients list I can see why it would work so well with cheese and pate and also how it would help with regularity.
Thanks for that, will give it a try.