Chromium supplements for T2D

gbs42

Curiously this is advised in P Holford's books. I started on minimum dose 5 days ago and already I have significantly better BG levels. Of course I know that a lot of babies have been born when storks are flying around but I feel confident that this working for me.

Does anyone have experience?

gbs42

I take the min dose recommended by Holford at 2x2ngrammes/day ("n" is actually the irreproduceable greek mu on the label) This is twice the daily dosage recommended by Holland and Barrett but less than Holford's max which is 600ngrams/day.

How much have you been taking and with what effect if you reduce?

If there any bio-chemists or other scientists out there who can de-code the quantitities I would be pleased to see comment.

Oldvatr

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I found it worked for me, but the effect was small. I read up about it, and it seems that the picolinate form is best to use, then the GF type used by body builders.
i think it helps to reduce insulin resistance in the muscle cells, but there sre not many formal studies into it. I also note that it only seems to work if your diet is already low in chromium, so you should not need to supplement if you are on the average Western diet, which includes green leafed veg.

librarising

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
** Be aware that chromium may reduce the need for medication. Always monitor B/S levels **

Chromium seems to be one of those things that works for some and not for others.Both Dr Atkins and the Drs Heller are fans.
Dr Atkins first :
"For full-blown diabetes ... I normally raise the amount to between 600 and 1,000 mcg per day. (micro being that 'u' symbol with a left tail !) (Dr Atkins' Vita-Nutrient Solution 1998 p.148) He sees it as 'indispensable' for Type 2s, and 'may also benefit' Type 1s.
Drs Heller :
"Chromium has been called the "essential cofactor" of insulin ... helping insulin to do its jobs. (It) may take from one to several months to become observable." (The Carbohydrate Addict's Lifespan Program 1997 p.132)

Personal history update :
Diagnosed T2 in 12/11.
HbA1c 8/15 42
HbA1c 3/16 102 - referred to Diabetes Clinic, Started immediately on insulin. Awaiting confirmation of LADA/T1.5
For 2-3 years now been taking 1,000 mcg daily (5 x 200mcg tablets)

Geoff

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I have seen it recommended for decades - for helping with reactive hypoglycaemia, food cravings and wonky blood glucose levels.

And I have taken the chromium picolinate version on and off the the same length of time, but have never really noticed much impact, while some report significant improvements.

It is probably just one small brick in the wall that helps us, and the amount of noticeable benefit will depend how holey your wall is, and what other masonry work you are doing at the same time...