Chronic Laryngeal Sensory Neuropathy

finsit

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi there, just a quick one. I had this chronic LSN (Laryngeal Sensory Neuropathy) with irritating cough after certain foods. I tried to eliminate Lactose and it did improve somehow not completely gone though. I could never figure out what exacerbated it all those 10 years. However, after diagnosis of D2, when i went low-carb, i noticed after couple of months it has completely cured. I still take full cream which is not lactose free. I do not eat wheat or grains through, so could it be gluten? Or its just because going low-carb naturally reduces your body inflammation and that cured it? I am very curious to understand if someone has knowledge of this or has experienced this.

My apologies if its off the topic for this forum, but i understand several of D2 here are on low-carb as well so there might be some information that i could get? Or if you could kindly guide me to some low-carb forum that is trusted.

Thanks.

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi there, just a quick one. I had this chronic LSN (Laryngeal Sensory Neuropathy) with irritating cough after certain foods.
Not an answer to your question, as I hadn't even heard of this condition.
But may I ask how you were diagnosed with chronic LSN and what the cause was deemed to be?

NicoleC1971

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Lots of people here are very clued up on low carb/keto but you can look up Diet Doctor which has plenty of clinical information on it. Either way it sounds like you have helped to resolve your neuropathy and this may be connected to the reduction of inflammation . I don't know but it doesn't sound as if your condition is autoimmune related i.e. connected to dairy/gluten.

jessj

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I didn't know it had a name! I experience it, as I cough when eating or attempting to eat or drink something cold, it only takes a couple of spoons of ice cream or a mouthful of iced water. I've never asked the doctor about it, as I don't think of it, but put it down to asthma & it chilling my tubes.

It's good that it doesn't still happen to you. Intolerances can appear out of nowhere & clear up, as our bodies are very odd. You may never know the cause of yours, it could well have been down to lactose & it was a phase you went through.

finsit

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks everyone. @Antje77 I was not officially diagnosed of it. But now i am learning a lot about health and conditions so I went through some scientific literature and some medical websites to understand some of my symptoms pre low-carb. I had to pin it down to LSN which is exactly what I had, so i am almost certain of this diagnosis. There could be other reason to keep coughing and clearing your throat, due to allergies, or post nasal drip (which i initially thought back in time). However, this is not something that was a big of worry, i never went to seek any medical attention (leaving it for people who's conditions deserve it more). I posted this question on another forum as well and it seems one answer that i am convinced with is that it has to do with your body's low inflammation on low-carb and somehow that fixes most of your illnesses. I am inquiring just to see if it had to do with any product that i do want to avoid and as you all know it would take lot of tests and work to pin point what possible allergies do i have and post COVID i don't think its wise to put all this extra burden on NHS, so here are the citizen scientist helping me out :)