1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2019 »
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

cinema snacks..

Discussion in 'Newly Diagnosed' started by ninaleonard78, Mar 9, 2019.

1. ninaleonard78

ninaleonard78 · Active Member

promised the son a visit to the cinema this weekend....what snacks/drink can i have?

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  2. Listlad

Listlad Prediabetes · Well-Known Member

I recently discovered bags of peanuts in Aldi that are chilli flavoured. Very tasty. And much cheaper than the Cinema “foods”.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. Rachox

Rachox Type 2 (in remission!) · Moderator
    Staff Member

I just eat before I go, then no snacks are required. Definitely nothing suitable for me on sale at the cinema!

• Agree Agree x 2
  4. Starfish18

Starfish18 Type 2 · Well-Known Member

I'd take a few nuts and probably a pack of pork scratchings. You could take some Olives, if you like them? Chop some cheese up to take with you maybe. Metcalfes do some popcorn which is quite low carb. As for drink I'd be no help as I'd just take water
    Enjoy the cinema

5. Dixon1995

Dixon1995 Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Contrary to myth, you can take your own food in usually. I normally take peach water, beef jerky, peanuts or cashews, apple slices or dried fruit to munch.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Listlad

Interesting point. Many establishments I go in state that you can only eat their food. (Am not referring to cafes and restaurants here of course). But on a low carb type of diet I cannot eat their food so bring my own in. I haven’t had any issues yet but am waiting all guns loaded should there be difficulties. :D

7. Bluetit1802

Bluetit1802 Type 2 (in remission!) · Guru

All I would take is a bottle of water. No food. Personally I have no inclination to snack at all.

8. Robinredbreast

Robinredbreast Type 1 · Oracle

I just have a a coffee.
    Hope you enjoy the film :)

9. Guzzler

Guzzler Type 2 · Master

Peanuts, Casews and dried fruit? Not particularly low carb at all. I'm with @Rachox eat before you go, if you must have a snack then Almonds or Walnuts would be better than other 'nuts'.

10. Spl@

Spl@ Prediabetes · Well-Known Member

You might want to rethink that, check the carbs on the pack, those flavourings can take a bag of peanuts to a 50g carb/100, or more depending on the flavour. Most of them involve dusting in cornflour that the flavouring is mixed with.

• Like Like x 1
  11. Jaylee

Jaylee Type 1 · Expert
    Retired Moderator

Hmmmm, "other nuts." Pending on carb tolerance levels & possible prescribed meds too.? Just found the Aldi nuts. https://www.myfitnesspal.com/food/calories/clancys-aldi-chilli-coated-peanuts-649940691

Eat before you go. I wouldn't like to be sat next to a bag rustler... Lol. ;)

• Agree Agree x 4
  12. Spl@

Spl@ Prediabetes · Well-Known Member

• Like Like x 1
  13. Listlad

They are not the ones.

14. Listlad

I will get back to you on that. The ones I eat are far less in carbs.

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  15. helensaramay

helensaramay Type 1 · Expert

I think this suggestion was made by someone with type 1.
    As this thread is not in a type specific forum, such a response is reasonable.
    Not everyone with diabetes eats a low carb diet.

16. Guzzler

Guzzler Type 2 · Master

The OP has, I think, expressed an interest in low carb. As a T2 the member will have a measure of insulin resistance ergo my comment.

17. Pipp

Pipp Type 2 · Expert
    Retired Moderator

When I go to cinema I sometimes buy one of their coffees or a bottle of water to take in with me. Unlike the cinema trips in my youth, when there would be a main feature film which followed a shorter supporting film, and an interlude, making a visit to cinema an epic 3- 4 hours in the place, these days usually only in there for maximum of 2 hours. Can last much longer without eating.

Never fails to amaze me the amount of munchers of smelly food that spread their ‘picnic’ across seats and graze throughout. Really not necessary.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  18. PenguinMum

PenguinMum Type 2 · Well-Known Member

I am with you on that Pipp. I seldom do cinema trips any more because of the constant sounds of rustling bags, munching not to mention the smells. It detracts from the movie experience for me. Why not eat before or after the movie? Just dont get that one.

• Like Like x 1
  19. Jaylee

Jaylee Type 1 · Expert
    Retired Moderator

Guys?
    Nina has recently been prescribed Glic & metformin. Also in possession of a BG meter.

Any recommendation of appropriate snacks should be followed up by testing the effects with a meter.

Daily carb allowances to tolerance level vary pending on type & meds.

One thing certain. we are all carb conscious, so any help without going on a bicker tangent would be appreciated by the OP..

Please also remember to turn off your phones... ;)

• Agree Agree x 2
  20. Listlad

5.7g / 100 and very moreish. Chatting to one of the workers in there he loves em, and isn’t a low carber.

So unless one has a peanut allergy, quite a tasty and low carb snack, even if a bit crunchy and rustly. :D

• Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook