cinema snacks..

Listlad

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I recently discovered bags of peanuts in Aldi that are chilli flavoured. Very tasty. And much cheaper than the Cinema “foods”.

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
promised the son a visit to the cinema this weekend....what snacks/drink can i have?

I just eat before I go, then no snacks are required. Definitely nothing suitable for me on sale at the cinema!

Starfish18

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I'd take a few nuts and probably a pack of pork scratchings. You could take some Olives, if you like them? Chop some cheese up to take with you maybe. Metcalfes do some popcorn which is quite low carb. As for drink I'd be no help as I'd just take water
Enjoy the cinema

Dixon1995

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Contrary to myth, you can take your own food in usually. I normally take peach water, beef jerky, peanuts or cashews, apple slices or dried fruit to munch.

Reactions: dmckatana

Listlad

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Contrary to myth, you can take your own food in usually. I normally take peach water, beef jerky, peanuts or cashews, apple slices or dried fruit to munch.
Interesting point. Many establishments I go in state that you can only eat their food. (Am not referring to cafes and restaurants here of course). But on a low carb type of diet I cannot eat their food so bring my own in. I haven’t had any issues yet but am waiting all guns loaded should there be difficulties. :D

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
All I would take is a bottle of water. No food. Personally I have no inclination to snack at all.

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
I just have a a coffee.
Hope you enjoy the film :)

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
Peanuts, Casews and dried fruit? Not particularly low carb at all. I'm with @Rachox eat before you go, if you must have a snack then Almonds or Walnuts would be better than other 'nuts'.

Spl@

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Humans that only take.
I recently discovered bags of peanuts in Aldi that are chilli flavoured. Very tasty. And much cheaper than the Cinema “foods”.

You might want to rethink that, check the carbs on the pack, those flavourings can take a bag of peanuts to a 50g carb/100, or more depending on the flavour. Most of them involve dusting in cornflour that the flavouring is mixed with.

Reactions: Jaylee

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin

Spl@

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Humans that only take.
Reactions: Jaylee

Listlad

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
You might want to rethink that, check the carbs on the pack, those flavourings can take a bag of peanuts to a 50g carb/100, or more depending on the flavour. Most of them involve dusting in cornflour that the flavouring is mixed with.
I will get back to you on that. The ones I eat are far less in carbs.

D

Deleted Account

Peanuts, Casews and dried fruit? Not particularly low carb at all.
I think this suggestion was made by someone with type 1.
As this thread is not in a type specific forum, such a response is reasonable.
Not everyone with diabetes eats a low carb diet.

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
I think this suggestion was made by someone with type 1.
As this thread is not in a type specific forum, such a response is reasonable.
Not everyone with diabetes eats a low carb diet.

The OP has, I think, expressed an interest in low carb. As a T2 the member will have a measure of insulin resistance ergo my comment.

Pipp

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
When I go to cinema I sometimes buy one of their coffees or a bottle of water to take in with me. Unlike the cinema trips in my youth, when there would be a main feature film which followed a shorter supporting film, and an interlude, making a visit to cinema an epic 3- 4 hours in the place, these days usually only in there for maximum of 2 hours. Can last much longer without eating.

Never fails to amaze me the amount of munchers of smelly food that spread their ‘picnic’ across seats and graze throughout. Really not necessary.

Reactions: gemma_T1

PenguinMum

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
When I go to cinema I sometimes buy one of their coffees or a bottle of water to take in with me. Unlike the cinema trips in my youth, when there would be a main feature film which followed a shorter supporting film, and an interlude, making a visit to cinema an epic 3- 4 hours in the place, these days usually only in there for maximum of 2 hours. Can last much longer without eating.

Never fails to amaze me the amount of munchers of smelly food that spread their ‘picnic’ across seats and graze throughout. Really not necessary.
I am with you on that Pipp. I seldom do cinema trips any more because of the constant sounds of rustling bags, munching not to mention the smells. It detracts from the movie experience for me. Why not eat before or after the movie? Just dont get that one.

Reactions: becca59

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Guys?
Nina has recently been prescribed Glic & metformin. Also in possession of a BG meter.

Any recommendation of appropriate snacks should be followed up by testing the effects with a meter.

Daily carb allowances to tolerance level vary pending on type & meds.

One thing certain. we are all carb conscious, so any help without going on a bicker tangent would be appreciated by the OP..

Please also remember to turn off your phones... ;)

Listlad

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I will get back to you on that. The ones I eat are far less in carbs.
5.7g / 100 and very moreish. Chatting to one of the workers in there he loves em, and isn’t a low carber.

So unless one has a peanut allergy, quite a tasty and low carb snack, even if a bit crunchy and rustly. :D