Cinnamon, Blood Sugars, Oxalates and Kidney Stones.

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I'm sure you all know this but my understanding is that the first thing to do to avoid kidney stones is to increase the volume of water drunk. My husband had them a couple of years ago and aside from skipping spinach ( a shame because we now have an awesome spinach patch in our vegetable garden) and okra (so not fair) and various other high oxalate foods he has kept drinking a couple of litres of water a day... So far so good.

Oh yes definitely upped my fluid intake! I hate spinach so that’s no loss for me and I’ve never tried okra!

MrsA2

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Empathising madly with you both. Have been following with interest as I had kidney stones a few years ago, before any mention of diabetes (even though i think I was at least prediabetic back then)
At the time I was told "these things just happen, nothing you can do" and "rarely happen twice".
Well mine did, 2 weeks after the first. I just assumed it was part of the same and that I was now scot free...hmm, might be joining you but have no idea what food to avoid, if any.

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Empathising madly with you both. Have been following with interest as I had kidney stones a few years ago, before any mention of diabetes (even though i think I was at least prediabetic back then)
At the time I was told "these things just happen, nothing you can do" and "rarely happen twice".
Well mine did, 2 weeks after the first. I just assumed it was part of the same and that I was now scot free...hmm, might be joining you but have no idea what food to avoid, if any.

I’ve been recommended a low oxalate diet as my stone analysis says the stone was made of 95% calcium oxalate. Strangely eating calcium with oxalates helps stop the stones forming, I don’t really understand that bit, however without knowing what your stones were composed of @MrsA2 i wouldn’t start altering your diet, I’m only changing as I have a definitive diagnosis.

Reactions: ickihun and MrsA2

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Aaaarrrgghhh! I’ve just discovered that chia seeds are high oxalate. Even the small portion I have each day to help my ‘regularity’, is nearly the recommended amount of oxalates for a low oxalate diet!
I had actually given them up temporarily as I’m scared of the seeds getting stuck in my tooth socket, had a tooth out recently.
So I now need to find a high fibre, low oxalate and of course low carb food for my afternoon snack :wideyed:

MrsA2

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Aaaarrrgghhh! I’ve just discovered that chia seeds are high oxalate. Even the small portion I have each day to help my ‘regularity’, is nearly the recommended amount of oxalates for a low oxalate diet!
I had actually given them up temporarily as I’m scared of the seeds getting stuck in my tooth socket, had a tooth out recently.
So I now need to find a high fibre, low oxalate and of course low carb food for my afternoon snack :wideyed:
Flax seed instead? The milled version thickens like chia, especially if you prepare it ahead. It's my goto for fibre

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Flax seed instead? The milled version thickens like chia, especially if you prepare it ahead. It's my goto for fibre
Thanks yes, flax seems to be suitable, I’ve always prepared my chia pud the day before anyway!