Type 1 Circumcision - HBA1C

Cody95

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi,

I have been to see the doctor about my foreskin recently as it is rather tight and sore, he referred me to the urology department after suggesting a circumcision (as well as giving me some steroid cream to loosen things up) at which I have an appointment on Thursday. I have been told however by my father's friend who is diabetic that your HBA1C must be below a certain level before they will give an operation.

I was wondering if anyone here knows if it's the same for a circumcision, I will be honest my HBA1C isn't going to be perfect but it's really sore and I have been on this waiting list since July and it is starting to drive me insane :(!

Any help would be greatly appreciated, thanks in advance!!

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I suspect that the required HbA1c will depend a lot on whether the op is a general or a local, and how 'big' an op it is. So perhaps have a word when you have the appointment on Thursday.

The other thing worth knowing is that steroids are well known for raising blood glucose. I always assumed that this was just steroid tablets, but it turns out that steroid creams can also have the same effect - even comparatively small amounts.

Maybe keep a close eye on blood glucose between now and Thursday to compare with your previous readings, and then discuss that too? The last thing you want is to be disqualified for an op because of the effect of meds you were given to prepare you for the op!

Having said that, a friend of mine had exactly the same problem (a couple of decades ago) and went to his old school style doc. The advice was to use olive oil to soften the skin, and then stretch gently, over several weeks. He found it worked like a charm.

Reactions: Cody95

catapillar

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
A high hba1c will increase your risk of problems with healing and infection - I'm imagining that is an area you want healed nice and quickly with no infection. Small improvements in your hba1c can greatly improve your risk factor. If I were you, I'd be wanting to go into the procedure with as good control and as good a hba1c as possible (nb good control also includes few hypos)

What is you hba1c now? Have you noticed any increase in blood sugar since using the steroid cream?

Cody95

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Sounds like thrush to me mate.
Yeah, sorry mate, doctor gave me some cream for that too, not that it works very well because you're meant to pull the foreskin back to get the cream in for it to work properly, which I cant!

Cody95

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I suspect that the required HbA1c will depend a lot on whether the op is a general or a local, and how 'big' an op it is. So perhaps have a word when you have the appointment on Thursday.

The other thing worth knowing is that steroids are well known for raising blood glucose. I always assumed that this was just steroid tablets, but it turns out that steroid creams can also have the same effect - even comparatively small amounts.

Maybe keep a close eye on blood glucose between now and Thursday to compare with your previous readings, and then discuss that too? The last thing you want is to be disqualified for an op because of the effect of meds you were given to prepare you for the op!

Having said that, a friend of mine had exactly the same problem (a couple of decades ago) and went to his old school style doc. The advice was to use olive oil to soften the skin, and then stretch gently, over several weeks. He found it worked like a charm.
Ah I didn't realise steroids did that. He's give me some hydrocortisone cream, and yes it's been more difficult to keep my HBA1C under control. Do you think there is a strong chance I will be disqualified from the op on Thurs then?

M

mist

Have you tried canesten? that comes with a pill as well as cream to help clear up the infection.

Circumcision seems a bit drastic to me!

Reactions: azure and Cody95

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Sorry, but I haven't a clue. It all depends on what their op cut off number is, and what your existing HbA1c is.

Cody95

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Have you tried canesten? that comes with a pill as well as cream to help clear up the infection.

Circumcision seems a bit drastic to me!
I haven't tried that yet, I will ask the doctor when I see them.

I think the circumcision was recommended as I'm unable to pull it back, it's very red and sore, not great down there at the minute!

M

mist

I haven't tried that yet, I will ask the doctor when I see them.

I think the circumcision was recommended as I'm unable to pull it back, it's very red and sore, not great down there at the minute!

Definitely try it mate, because you'll be a lot more red and sore if you have that op..:nailbiting:

catapillar

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
High blood sugar will also cause thrush - candida feeds on sugar and with high blood sugar you'll be peeing out sugar.

What is your hba1c?

What are your blood sugar levels looking like?

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
As diabetes raises the risk of problems with the foreskin such as infections, is is quite common for diabetics to have circumcisions carried out. Sometimes even when blood sugar control is not quite ideal. It is sometimes carried out with a local anesthetic as general anesthesia can be more risky for diabetics.

Not a problem I have, as was circumcised when an infant; as was quite common in the 1950's I believe.

Cody95

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
High blood sugar will also cause thrush - candida feeds on sugar and with high blood sugar you'll be peeing out sugar.

What is your hba1c?

What are your blood sugar levels looking like?

I think last time I went to have it checked I think it was 8ish. They've changed the numbers I believe (i.e from say 8.4 previously would now be a higher number, like 67 or something).

catapillar

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I think last time I went to have it checked I think it was 8ish. They've changed the numbers I believe (i.e from say 8.4 previously would now be a higher number, like 67 or something).

Like you say, 8 ish isn't perfect (but who's perfect anyway) but it's not so high that I would be too worried that a procedure would be cancelled. But good blood sugar control could help with the cause of you problem and healing from the procedure.

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi. I would definitely try to get your blood sugar down thru low-carbing or whatever meds will help. Circumcision sounds too drastic to me. I had inflammation of the glans when diagnosed due to my high sugar. Canestan helped when used but the soreness came back when stopped. As soon as my blood sugar came down into range the thrush went; it's apparently it's the number 1 presenting symptom of diabetes. I don't think steroid cream is a good idea at all. You need to treat the problem if it's thrush and not treat the symptoms based on my experience.

Cody95

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
The foreskin is damaged, I believe that is why a circumcision was recommended. With the tightness though would I not be better having one anyway? I mean even the hydrocortisone cream doesn't help that much.

What seems strange to me is why the doctor has given me steroid cream when it could potentially make my diabetes worse lol!!

I guess the circumcision wont help the thrush if its feeding off of high blood sugar.