Claiming test strips back on the NHS?

lucdavidson

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hey all, hope everyone’s having a nice new year. I’m currently faffing around in between GPs and needed some test strips so I bought some from Boots for £29. I was just wondering if anybody knows if there’s a way of claiming that back when I’m sorted with the GP and pharmacy? And if so, how could I go about it? It’s not the end of the world if not but £29 is a lot of money at the moment!!

Thank you!
Lucy xxxxxx

buffyiscool

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Hey all, hope everyone’s having a nice new year. I’m currently faffing around in between GPs and needed some test strips so I bought some from Boots for £29. I was just wondering if anybody knows if there’s a way of claiming that back when I’m sorted with the GP and pharmacy? And if so, how could I go about it? It’s not the end of the world if not but £29 is a lot of money at the moment!!

Thank you!
Lucy xxxxxx
If you're medically controlled diabetic, ie. Tablet or Insulin controlled, then I think you should qualify for free prescriptions. Ask you healthcare team when you get a GP surgery sorted. They should give you a form to complete for a medical exemption certificate. If after sending the form back you get the certificate it covers all your prescriptions not just your diabetic meds. Did you get a receipt for the strips. If so then you may be able to get a refund. See this link for more information about this. It also has details on claming refunds: https://www.nhsbsa.nhs.uk/exemption-certificates/medical-exemption-certificates. Good luck.

Reactions: dbr10