Clarithromycin and insulin

isjoberg

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hi all!

Need a little assistance - I've been taking antibiotics for two days now to deal with an infected toenail, and one of the side effects is severe hypoglycemia. Now I reduced my basal by 20% in the morning and have only taken 3 units of novorapid today when I would normally take around 15 by this point based on what I have eaten.

As I'm going out to eat tonight, am a little bit apprehensive about injecting. Restaurants meals are a lot of guesswork at the best of times, but now with this (my bg has not gone over 6 today and I've had to snack every 90 mins to prevent hypo) I'm unsure how to approach my impending sushi meal.

I am thinking I should give a small dose (2 units) right before I eat and use my libre to see if I need to add to this? Really don't fancy having a hypo out in central London - although I will be carrying 101 hypo treatments with me!

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
Hi @isjoberg - it sounds like you have got a good idea on how to manage so don't let this spoil your night out - my only advice is to watch the sushi as the rice could push your levels up as it contains refined sugar as well as the rice if it's a well known chain then they will have the nutriotional details inc carbs which will help you decide how much insulin you want to take, but of course using your libre will help hugely as you can see if your going north or south before you take your insulin, have a great night :)

Reactions: isjoberg

isjoberg

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hi @isjoberg - it sounds like you have got a good idea on how to manage so don't let this spoil your night out - my only advice is to watch the sushi as the rice could push your levels up as it contains refined sugar as well as the rice if it's a well known chain then they will have the nutriotional details inc carbs which will help you decide how much insulin you want to take, but of course using your libre will help hugely as you can see if your going north or south before you take your insulin, have a great night :)
Thats my concern as I don't want to go high, but don't know how my ratios have changed! Super split dose and pretending MDI works like a pump I think is going to be the most sensible solution!

And here's hoping they have the brown rice options :D