Clopidogrel - Side Effects

mrssmurf2

Hi

This is not particularly diabetes related (although I am diabetic)

Does anyone take Clopidogrel for reduce risk of stroke/ heart disease? I was just wondering if anyone had any side effects especially women. My particular problem is my periods have become so heavy since being on it. I can't find any information on this as it all seems to be aimed at post menopause women.

didie

Dislikes
People who think they are always right and ram their opinions down your throat. No-one knows everything. Those who shout loudest are usually the ones who actually know the least.
I take it after my stroke (which was caused by undiagnosed diabetes) and don't have any side-effects apart from the most spectacular bruises, but I am post-menopause.

Have you talked to your doctor about it? If your periods are too heavy you might become anaemic and need extra iron.

I find it is a great medication for peace of mind after my stroke.

mrssmurf2

Thanks Didie. Yes the bruises are epic arn't they! I had a TIA in August so it is good for peace of mind. Both my parents died of heart/stroke so was scared when I had the TIA.
I will have to go to the Doctor although I don't really want to take another tablet I am on quite a lot already for diabetes etc. I only 35 so got quite a few years of periods to go so will have to get it sorted!

smitha48

Hi mrssmurf,

I've been on Clopidogrel for 12months due to CVD :(

I'm unsure about side effects specifically for Ladies, however i've not experienced any over the last 12 months!

There is a website 'mediguard.org' which you can sign into. Once registered and signed in (Don't forget to change location in top Rt Hand Corner) you can put all your meds in and they will inform you of any interactions and side effects not normally advertised by the drug companies.

One word of warning is that Clopidogrel should not be stopped, but you can be weaned off it. This is due to something they call the Clopidogrel Rebound!!!!

Hope this helps and good luck

Tony

IanD

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Carbohydrates
My (post menop) wife was taking it following a heart attack, when she had a blood test. The needle prick ran down her arm & onto the floor of the hospital. It's to stop blood clots.

You should ask your Dr about it.

didie

Dislikes
People who think they are always right and ram their opinions down your throat. No-one knows everything. Those who shout loudest are usually the ones who actually know the least.
Yes, it's an anti-clotting drug, but it is not as extreme as Warfarin which I would hate to take. I'm resigned to being on it for the long-term. I find that after my stroke I do sometimes bump into things with my left side. As I have a reduction in sensation on that side I don't always feel the full impact of the bump and only really notice what I've done when the garish bruise develops.

If I banged my head I would take myself to the doctor/A&E just to be on the safe side. I always remember Donald Dewar having that fatal fall.

IanD

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Carbohydrates
The Plavix/Clopidogrel leaflet:
Tell your doctor immediately if you notice any of the following:

(NOTE: If you take both Plavix and
aspirin the risk of side effects related
to bleeding may be increased.)
• bloody or black bowel motions
• diarrhoea with blood, mucus,
stomach pain and fever
• abdominal or stomach pain
• vomiting of blood or vomit that
looks like coffee grounds
• coughing up blood
• blood in the urine
• blood in the eyes
• unusually heavy bleeding or
oozing from cuts or wounds
• bleeding (including nose bleeds)
or bruising more easily than
normal
• unusually heavy or unexpected
menstrual bleeding

You need immediate medical advice.

ashaw

I was taken off Aspirin 75 mg and put on to Clopidogrel 75 mg about 9 months ago. It never occurred to me that this would be anything to do with the more noticeable bruising and the heavier nosebleeds than usual. I don't think I'm on it for any particular reason, except High B P, being post-menopausal, and approaching the (fairly young) age at which my mother suffered a fatal heart attack (67) but it is just one of the many pills I seem to pop during the day. Perhaps I should be more thoughtful before I accept any new medications.

patrictewart

I take it after my stroke (which was caused by undiagnosed diabetes) and don't have any side-effects apart from the most spectacular bruises, but I am post-menopause.
My doctor said that what might be working for others may not work on you so consult a doctor