Clubbing

Pearsall85

Hey all, it will be my first time going out to a club since being diagnosed on friday so I will be having a bit of a drink but wont be going over the top. Ive been told to keep checking my levels every couple of hours but is there anything else I should do from your experiences?? What would be the best snack to have before bed to stop me going low??

Stu.

Patch

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Are you going "Clubbing", or "Clubbing ;-)" ?

jopar

Another thing to be weary about is hypo's the next morning...

The liver can't process alcohol and process glucose for your liver store at the same time, so it will stop process glucose to store in your liver, and process the alcohol out your system, and once your liver has dribbled all it's store of glucose into your blood stream, so your background insulin effectively becomes quick acting insulin.. (background insulin is inject to tackle the glucose being delivered into your blood by the liver) so increases the likely hood of hypo's, and also means that a glucogen injection is useless if you hit a hypo. You will have to have fast acting carbs either to eat or a glucose mixture straight into a vein by a paramedic...

It takes on average around an hour for the liver to process 1 unit of alcohol..

I don't drink, but hubby does (he's T1 as well) and he also has some form of slow/starchy carbs before he goes to bed, to ensure he doesn't have an hypo.

pumppimp

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi
Whenever I've been out for a night out a nice portion of chips and cheese or stovies(scottish stew stuff) keeps my levels better in the morning. I wouldn't correct before you go to sleep if you've been drinking it's better to have a higher bs overnight as if you've been drinking the alcohol will bring your levels down. I would then correct in the morning. If your blood sugar is majorly high then obviously correct for it but not as much as you would do if you've not been drinking. Usually I would stick to vodka diet coke if I'm out for a queit drink but If I'm going clubbing in that I'll be dancing my socks off I can usually afford to have a few sugary cocktails as well.
have fun and enjoy yourself.
Laura

GlazedDoughnuts

I've had a few drunken nights out since being diagnosed, I just ate plenty carbs...But I do that anyway on a drunken night out :problem:

Unless you're one of these binge drinking warriors who gets absolutely smashed to the point where you're rolling around in your own vomit/faeces, you'll be fine :thumbup:

bethan90

I went out on Saturday night, at about 11ish my bs was pretty high, but by 2am it was 3.1! I had half a tube of fruit pastilles and hot milk. Normally I have a McDonald's/greasy chips after a night out but managed to resist on Saturday. Just watch your bs carefully because it can change really quickly.